Friday, August 04, 2006

Friday

I think son and I have decided to catch the new Will Ferrell movie this weekend while everyone else is battling it out in the malls for no sales tax weekend shopping. It's too hot and I don't have the energy to do much else.

I do, however, feel guilty complaining about the temperature when I remember those serving in Afghanistan and Iraq. My husband was in Iraq on business, pre-war, and was there to experience the joy of 120 degree weather in the desert. And the servicemen and women carry around 50 - 100 pounds of gear on their backs. Yeah, good times.

Fool of the Week: Representative Katherine Harris, R-FL.
What in the world is going on in her mind? I was aggravated enough with her when she decided to run for the Senate against Senator Bill Nelson, who I would enjoy seeing defeated, but she never really stood much of a chance of victory in the race. Now she is involved in some kind of grand jury investigation concerning a defense contractor who has pleaded guilty to bribing another congressman. Her staff has been abandoning ship, rightly so, and now I read Harris hid a grand jury subpoena from her staffers and top advisors.

What is the woman thinking? I know she is fabuously wealthy from old Florida citrus money and has pledged millions of her own money to buy, er, win the seat, but good Lord. Allegedly Harris sought federal money for the defense contractor's company to set up a Navy counterintelligence program in her district. The request was denied.

This is a race that never should have been.

2 comments:

Beverly said...

You are absolutely right. The governor and everyone else begged her to give up the bid for election. Now today in the paper I see that Mel Martinez (R) is asking people to contribute to her campaign and help the poor thing out. Everyone who has ever worked her campaign has quit...she should be able to see the handwriting on the wall.

Politics in Florida have disgusted me for a while. I voted for Bush both times, but only because I couldn't stand the Democratic candidate...especially the second time. They talk about what they have done for education...makes me want to throw up..yes, I'm a retired educator.,,,

Thanks for the congrats.

Jennifer said...

I feel guilty complaining about the heat, too. But I can't help myself.

I wonder if Ms. Harris uses that same excuse?

The boys are taking me to see Ricky Bobby tonight. I'm more excited than a 43 year-old quasi respectable woman should be. :-)