Monday, August 14, 2006

School Days

Today was the first day of my son's Junior year of high school. Good Lord, where has the time gone? It was just the other day he was in kindergarten and thought I ruled the world.

Over the weekend we upgraded my cell phone, to a Treo, so it's combined with the PDA and email capabilities, etc. Son upgraded to a Motorola Razr so he's all jazzed.

Also this weekend, Son went with hubby to get an exchange for hubby's iPod, as it wasn't working properly and the iPod store will change it out for you, so they took that opportunity to purchase son's birthday present early. His birthday is Labor Day weekend. So now he has a new iPod. They bought an iPulse at Sharper Image. It serves as a docking station for the iPod and has speakers and it lights up in different colors as the music plays. Son's digging it. So his big gift is taken care of now. Of course you know this means he'll get a few little gifts on the actual day of his birth as there is no way I won't have something for him to open!

That's enough geek shopping for a while, I'd say.

The Indianapolis Zoo is remodeling and the penguins were being transported to the Moody Gardens aquarium in Galveston when a tragic accident occurred. Twenty one penguins survived but four were killed when the refrigerated truck overturned, three of which were killed by motorists. What a sad story. Several were injured and are recovering. They are all being isolated until everyone is in good shape and then they can be viewed by the public.

Hubby and I have visited the Indianapolis a couple of times. We're zoo people and enjoy checking out the zoo in any city we may be visiting. We were big supporters of the little zoo created in Lafayette when we lived there.

5 comments:

Sheri & SuZan said...

That was so sad about the penguins in that accident.

We have planed to get G2 that same thing for Christmas this year. He loves his IPod.

We start back to School on Wednesday and:

I'm.Not.Ready!

srp said...

The schools in Columbus, MS started last week, but here they don't start until after Labor Day. Of course they go through the middle of June too.

Nyssa goes back to school on Thursday, starts the RA training on Friday. So it is another week of packing the van and moving. This time, however, a single room, a brand new dorm and an ELEVATOR for mom. And AIR CONDITIONING, how could I forget that. I don't think the Freshmen come in until sometime next week and then school starts a few days later. W&M are starting late this year.

Me said...

Oh, poor little penguins!!!!!

My condolences on the son starting schooling. No relief in sight now until the Holidays.

Beverly said...

I hadn't heard that news about the penguins...how sad. They are such endearing creatures, aren't they.

I can hardly wait until my birthday! My kids are getting me an IPod...yes, one for old granny.

I tell all my friends whose children are entering middle school to enjoy those years and the high school years, because they are gone oh so soon.

Jennifer said...

I feel so deprived by my iPod-lackingness.

Okay, not really. But they are really cool. ;-)

It's still summer. Just doesn't seem right for school to be in session. Remember the good ol' days when we didn't start back until the day after Labor Day?