Monday, June 19, 2006

Rainy Day Monday

Today's brew: Duncan Coffee Co.'s Texas Southern Pecan. Duncan is a local Houston coffee company.

My guys and I went out Saturday night for Thai food before going to the theatre. We saw "Mass Appeal" at the local nearby playhouse. It was orginally on Broadway in 1981 and it concerns the universal theme of standing up for someone you believe in. A young man in Seminary is challenged for his past behavior in pre-Seminary days and the Priest in charge of preparing him for service comes around to the loyality of friendship. Yes, it has to do with the gay question, which gets old after a while, but it is a really good, well-written play.

Hubby's assignment in Kazakhstan has been delayed a few days so he is still in town. His visa will come through soon then he'll be off. Work on the oil rig has to be far enough along before he can do his thing.

At least now the weather will be considerably warmer than 40 below like when he was there in December and January.

My front lawn is in desperate need of fertilizer. Hubby purchased the product and replaced the old spreader with a new one but now we have to wait for his return from Kazakhstan. Why? Because he is leary of getting the fertilizer on his shoes from the lawn and then going to the airport and walking thru the new screening machine they have installed at said airport. Bush Intercontinental Airport is one being used to test the new technology that eliminates some of the actual body screening from TSA personnel. Whatever.

Father's Day was quiet around here. Son joined some friends for a visit to a local mall. Then I grilled steaks for dinner. Earlier in the day, hubby had to do a bit of patching on the roof overhang on the side of the house as an upward bent shingle produced a small drip of a leak in the kitchen. I won't bring up the fact that I have been nagging, er, telling hubby about this needed repair for a while now. When it finally produced a leak, then he did the repair. He had the necessary supplies and a basic plan but didn't quite have the motivation thing going before the leak came through.

It's a very rainy Monday today. Later, hopefully during a break in the rain, son and I are heading out to the bookstore to purchase his summer reading for the upcoming AP English course. He'll be reading "Catcher in the Rye". He also wants to read the pre-AP selection, "Death of a Salesman". He's seen the movie and play but wants to get around to reading the book. That's my boy. So, we'll look for that, too.

Plus, if we go to Barnes and Noble, I've got this coupon for a free Frappuccino...

4 comments:

Sheri & SuZan said...

Oh how was the Thai food? I have never "pushed" my guy to eat it because it was so darn hot when I tried it.

Rainy day indeed...we'll let you know if we start building an ark!

AC said...

I heard on the radio that Houston received 1" of rain every fifteen minutes! The announcer didn't say how many 15-minute ntervals there were but it sounded really bad and flooded. Hope you are on higher ground!

The fertilizer issue sounds like Elaine (Seinfeld) eating a poppy seed muffin before a drug test. There's always something.

Do you know much about living in Waco? Daughter is looking at Baylor for grad school. It seems similar in economic statistics to Knoxville but its hard to tell much from the internet. I am guessing it is hot as fire there. Texas Tech has a program too, so how would you compare Lubbock to Waco? Jenny is favoring Waco because of its proximity to Austin which she believes to be an Oz-like town.

srp said...

I heard about the flooding. I can't imagine what 7 inches in an hour looks like. The pictures of the flooding were horrible. I'm not sure I would be brave enough to venture out into this.

Me said...

That coffee sounds yummy... odd for me when I don't care for flavored, but today, Southern Pecan is heavenly.

I didn't think about the fertilizer on hubby's shoes. Good point!