Saturday, June 03, 2006

Slowly I Turn, Step by Step

I love the Three Stooges, don't you? Mostly, though, the header is a reference to how I am moving today. It is early afternoon but not much has been done around here. I am on the second load of laundry but that's about it. I have given myself a manicure and pedicure as I am going out with my two favorite guys this evening. We are going to the dinner theatre. Dinner and a show, now we're talking. We are taking advantage of good weather and the fact that hubby will be heading out next week for an assignment at Mobile Bay. When he is finished there he will be going over to Sabine Pass to board and babysit an oil rig as it is moved to Alaska. That assignment will take probably 3 months. We are doing an early Father's Day, my birthday, and our wedding anniversary celebration all in one tonight! That's just how our life is.

Thursday night I watched the primetime conclusion of the National Spelling Bee. It was so fun. Those were some awesome young people competing and being so supportive of each other. I loved the fact that the last 3 or 4 received standing ovations from the audience and fellow competitors as they were eliminated.

The winner and the runner up were both girls. There were 19 rounds and 275 spellers. I learned that the spelling bee is open to anyone from an English-speaking country. I thought it was an American thing but there were competitors from Europe, Guam, Jamaica, New Zealand, Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico and Canada.

Katherine (Kerrie) Cross was the winning speller. She's an eight grader from New Jersey. She is a public school student. In recent years, home schooled children have dominated. She is the first girl to win since 1999 and it was the first prime time coverage in the spelling bee's 79 year history.

Upon winning, Kerrie Cross said, "You can't do anything without moral support. It feels great." She thanked her parents for their continued support. She won $42,000 in cash and prizes.

Kudos to Kerrie.

3 comments:

Beverly said...

Thanks for the comment about the speller. I wondered if she was a homeschooler...glad to hear that a public school student won...and a girl!

Jennifer said...

How cool is it that the Spelling Bee made broadcast television prime time. Of course, they demeaned themselves by marketing it as the "ultimate reality TV", but still.

I thought it was incredibly cool.

srp said...

I know they have to really study.
I wonder if knowing phonics helps and/or Latin.