Thursday, April 17, 2008

A Ticket to Ride

"For well over a century, the United States of America has played an important role in the international community. On Friday, God willing, I will have the honor of addressing the United Nations Organization, where I hope to encourage the efforts under way to make that institution an ever more effective voice for the legitmate aspirations of the world's peoples. On this, the sixtieth anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the need for global solidarity is as urgent as ever. If all people are to live in a way worthy of their dignity - as brothers and sisters dwelling in the same house and around that table which God's bounty has set for all his children. America has traditionally shown herself generous in meeting immediate human needs, fostering development and offering relief to the victims of natural catastrophes. I am confident that this concern for the greater human family will continue to find expression in support for the patient efforts of international diplomacy to resolve conflicts and promote progress. In this way, coming generations will be able to live in a world where truth, freedom and justice can flourish - a world where the God-given dignity and rights of every man, woman and child are cherished, protected and effectively advanced." That from the text of Pope Benedict's speech yesterday delivered at the White House before 10,000 invited guests.

The Pope was welcomed to the White House in grand fashion. Fife and Drum Corp of the U.S. Army performed in all of their uniformed greatness. Love the hats. The President tapped his heel as they played. The President's remarks began with a quote from St. Augustine, "Peace be with you." Kathleen Battle sang The Lord's Prayer. As the Pope began to speak, the crowd spontaneously broke out in Happy Birthday, acknowledging his 81st birthday.

The U.S. Army Chorus sang The Battle Hymn of the Republic. Kathleen Battle ended the ceremony by leading the crowd in Happy Birthday.

The weather was perfect.

The Popemobile is one pimped out ride. My son and I decided we'd like a spin in that vehicle. It is one of two and this one is a white Mercedes SUV, modified for his needs. It is bullet proof and bomb proof, too, a nod to our times.

The Pope met with the President before the ceremony. He didn't attend the dinner in his honor last night at the White House, or the one at the Italian embassy. His spokesman said the Pope rarely eats in public. He wanted to meet with his Bishops and did so.

Today he conducts Mass at National Stadium in D.C., the first non-sports event in the new stadium.

I'd like a ride.

9 comments:

Right Truth said...

The weather was/is perfect. I'm not Catholic but I like this Pope.

Debbie Hamilton
Right Truth

Anonymous said...

Why don't you print GW's global warming speech...it appears to me...and I hate to say it...that he has utterly sold out to the climate change loonies!! I'm utterly at a loss to understand and explain this. Does anyone have any ideas on this? How can we continue to oppose this really massive and dangerous conspiracy...and that's what it is ...if they can throw back at us the words of the President himself?I'm afraid the words crackpot and deniers are going to stick to us from now on...meanwhile I'm sitting in the middle of the Northwest's coldest spring in decades.

Anonymous said...

The weather was beautiful and I watched the mass and the listened to the Popes speech. I too am not a Catholic, but who cares, everyone about anything Christ loves the Pope.

Anonymous said...

Layla said...
The weather was beautiful and I watched the mass and the listened to the Popes speech. I too am not a Catholic, but who cares, everyone about anything Christ loves the Pope.


Wow! Stale, conventional sentimentality flows like branch water on here, doesn't it? And talk about incoherent.

Incognito said...

Good luck to him addressing the useless UN. Aint nothing going to help solve the world's woes, sadly.

Nikki said...

Hey Karen thanks for the comment on my blog! I love meeting other bloggers and enjoy conversing with them. Great write up on the Pope and the one before on elitism. Hill and Obama are elitist in that they know more than the rest of America. I think it is interesting that the comments that Obama made were in a closed meeting and in a completely different state. I don't think he intended the comments to ever be heard...very elitist. I think I have seen your link on one of my other readers wouldn't mind exchanging links!! And I noticed you are on "snarkle" and now so am I...so flattered. :)N

Anonymous said...

I was moved by his visit with the victims of the clergy scandal. I hope they feel some ... peace? ... after having the opportunity.

The Pope mobile always makes me smile. It seems so 'Get Smart'-ish! And I mean that in the very best of ways.

Ottavio (Otto) Marasco said...

Great post Karen. I am Catholic myself but respect all sensible religions. Catholics see the Pope as the vicar (representative) of Christ... In all a fantastic display of goodwill! I thought the White House welcoming was perfect and most uplifting...

The Vegas Art Guy said...

I really respect the pontiff. Forget the pope mobile, I'd rather meet the pontiff in person. When he was elected, I was not sure how seriously I should take him. But after watching him in office and his repeated apologies for the sex abuse scandal (memo to self, never ever watch Bill Mahr again... ever!) and his smack down of the US cardinals for not handling it at all. He's no lightweight.