Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Wedding Anniversary #25

A mere 25 years ago today, on a hot and humid Saturday afternoon we were married in the Unitarian-Universalist Church of Bloomington, Indiana. Not a big affair, not a fancy affair either, but the wedding was performed by our minister, Laurel, who used a lovely ceremonial script we were comfortable with.

My sister was my matron of honor, my other sister was a bridesmaid, as was a good friend. My husband asked his father to be his best man. His brother and a friend who he'd known since high school were his groomsmen.

Music was provided by a co-worker who played the piano. Our wedding photos were taken by another co-worker. My aunt's sorority catered the cake and punch at the reception at the church. Did I mention my husband and I paid for our own wedding? Hence, everyone pitching in for us.

Prior to our wedding day, when we were engaged, we travelled to Atlanta en route to New Orleans. The husband met my college roommate. Over a pitcher of sangria in one of our old college day haunts, she told me, "Well, Karen, if you marry this guy, your life will never be boring." Oddly enough, our son was born on her birthday.

And, her prediction was spot on.

11 comments:

Beverly said...

Congratulations to you on this day! Twenty-five years is quite a record in our day. May you have twnety-five more.

Beverly said...

That's twenty, not twnety.

Paul is a Hermit said...

Happy Silver, my Dear Penguin. I can't imagine his life has been any less interesting hanging around you.
Go for The Gold, young lady!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to you, fellow Silver Anniversary person! I celebrated my 25th a couple of weeks ago. It's an amazing thing isn't it. Ours was a small wedding as well - maid of honor, best man, bridesmaid, usher and flower girl. Reception at the house I grew up in, whose chief attraction was the swimming pool! Which we all ended up using by that evening. 60 guests at the reception. I remember all of it and it was wonderful.

Hearty 25th to you Karen!!! Here's to hitting GOLD!

Layla said...

Awwww. That is just so lovely and heartwarming. Thanks for sharing tht with us here. And happy 25th anniversary and may they be many more!

Blessings to you and yours!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Mr. Nerd & I will celebrate our 25th in November -- looks like we are in excellent company!

Anonymous said...

How wonderful, Karen! Congratulations to you & Charlie!

Z said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, dear Karen! So nice to hear about your special day....love and happiness and good health for 25 more years!

z

AC said...

Happy, happy day. I agree with Paul. You've, no doubt, kept it interesting at your house.

I do hope you celebrated well.

Not many days till the boy leaves! How are you holding up? And don't forget the wheeled cart for moving in day unless your college is much better equipped than was jenny's.

The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

happy silver anniversary!

Incognito said...

Oh, honey.. happy belated Anniversary!!! here's to another 25!!
Hope it was a lovely celebration.
xoxo