Primary, now officially set for May 21, 2012.
On Thursday, March 1, 2012 the Western District Court issued a court order outlining the election schedule for the 2012 Primary Election. The order moves the 2012 Primary Election to Tuesday, May 29, 2012.
In addition to the court order, the SREC passed rules changes that allow the convention process to proceed without having an election.
The new court order includes the following changes for the 2012 Primary Election schedule:
* March 2, 2012 - The filing period reopens. Candidates for any federal, state, or county office may choose to file, amend, or withdraw their application. Primary office will be open from Monday-Friday from 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. For questions on any filing changes, please call the Primary office at 832-303-2021.
* March 9, 2012 @ 6:00 p.m. - The filing period closes for all offices other than the office of Precinct Chair.
* March 12, 2012 - New deadline for Republican county executive committees to conduct drawing for candidate order on ballot. The ballot draw for Republican candidates will be at 4:00 PM at Party Headquarters, 3311 Richmond, Ste. 218, Houston, 77098.
* March 30, 2012 - First day a voter may submit an application for a vote-by-mail ballot for the primary.
* April 21, 2012 - Republican Senatorial District Convention.
* May 14-25, 2012 - In-person early voting for Texas primary.
* May 29, 2012 - Date of 2012 General Primary Election.
* June 1, 2012 - First day a voter may submit an application for a vote-by-mail ballot for the runoff election. Also, deadline (@6:00 p.m.) for candidates for precinct chair to file to be on the ballot.
* June 7-9, 2012 - Republican State Convention in Fort Worth.
* July 31, 2012 - Date of 2012 Primary Runoff election. Also date of elections for precinct chair candidates. For precinct chair elections, only a plurality vote is required. (There will be no runoff for precinct chair elections).