Friday, October 07, 2005

Is Autumn Really Here?

Went out to fetch the morning newspaper from the front yard and was stopped in my tracks. The air was cool and I could breathe freely! I love autumn in Houston. No, we don't have the turning colors on our trees, we don't have crisp, hard snaps of cool air at any given time, but it is wonderful here. What a relief to hear the weather guesser on the evening news last night say we won't have anymore 100 degree days this year. Humidity is down and I can breathe. Good times.

Ewww... I just heard Senator Robert (Sheets) Byrd from W. VA. on the senate floor refer to the governor of his state as the "best looking governor in the country". That is disturbing.

I'm zipping around here this morning thanks to a double espresso buzz. Hubby got a new espresso machine, which he feels he can not live without, and when I can get it to work for me, I enjoy the benefit of having it around.

A question I have been pondering the past couple of days is this:
If Oregon feels it is constitutional to have an assisted suicide law, why is abortion not a states rights issue, too? Why does Roe v Wade have to stand as a federal law? Just thinking of the logic. I think abortion should be a states rights issue, too. I am not comfortable with the feds controlling either issue.

Son and I have a date to go to the bookstore after school today. Just about my favorite activity in the whole world. I love books. I have loved books all my life. I still vividly remember reading Nancy Drew mystery novels as a young girl from cover to cover in a quiet Sunday afternoon. My grandmother got me started on that series with the gift of a couple of the books one Christmas. I also blame this grandmother with my obsession with fine stationary as she is the person who gifted me with my first box of Crane stationary one birthday as a pre-teen. Monogrammed, too. I was her first grandchild, don't you know.

Gas today = $2.79/gallon

3 comments:

Sheri & SuZan said...

I loved Nancy Drew. I stubbled onto my mom's old collection when I was a young girl and loved every single one of them.

The cheapest gas I have found in Cypress is $2.89

Lovin' the weather....sigh!

YellowRose said...

The one thing I don't miss about Texas is that fall is not much of a change...Georgia is beautiful in the fall I'm finding out.

Have a great weekend!

srp said...

Virginia Beach has Tammy, rain, hot rain, 100% humidity with 80 degree temps, very dense air.

I think I read every Nancy Drew book in the library when I was a girl. Still have copies of some of them. The other books I devoured and now own a set of are The Black Stallion series by Walter Farley.