Tuesday, October 04, 2005

There's a Mouse in the House!

So last night I am relaxing in the recliner reading articles I had printed out from columns I enjoy on the internet when a movement catches my attention from the corner of my eye. I look up and it is a mouse! The little gray critter was scurrying about on the long lighting fixture along the wall of the room. Yikes. Remaining calm in the midst of this disgusting situation, I screamed. A high pitched girly Drew Barrymore in ET kind of scream that immediately brings my husband and son running into the room. I think the last time they heard this particular pitch of my voice was when I broke my ankle several years ago.

Max the dog bolts across the room to run with the males of the house in pursuit of the critter. The cats, where were the cats when we needed them? After much yelling of instructions by my husband to my son and blocking the dog out of the way, the mouse was finally caged in a front room rarely used. Poison was set out, sorry PETA, and the doors were closed. We'll see how this all turns out. I'm not going in to check. I hate rodents.

On the current events front, I must say I do not understand the hubbub about the Supreme Court nominee, Harriet Miers. At first glance, she looks ok to me. I am not an attorney but I was pre-law with a political science major in college so I am somewhat knowledgable about this area. I do not understand the argument that she may not truly be qualified as she hasn't been a judge. So what. Chief Justice Rehnquist hadn't been a judge and he did just fine. On a bipartisan note, Justice Warren wasn't a judge previously, either. It'll be a good thing, if you ask me. In a humorous moment yesterday, Senator Diane Feinstein questioned her ability to be up to the job as Miers hasn't been a judge. Well, pot meet black. Feinstein is one of two senators who are not attorneys on the Senate Judiciary Committee. The other is Tom Coburn from Oklahoma, an OB/GYN.

Let's all just step back and breathe a little, shall we?

2 comments:

Me said...

Hmmmm.... thank you for doing my homework for me. ;) I had pondering this for the last couple days but didn't go digging yet. Now you've done that for me.

Thanks! :)

srp said...

Many cats would not know what to do with a mouse...I doubt ours would. I could handle a mouse as I like gerbils but rats, that is another story all together.