Friday, September 22, 2006

Funky Friday

I signed up for a mail order coffee service. I heard about it on a radio show and went to the website after I learned this company donates tons of fresh coffee to the military stationed overseas. So, it's all a part of how I try to make my little contribution to the social concious of life. Many years ago I purchased a book about living your beliefs as far as your financial decisions go and it has stayed with me as time marches on. The older I get, the more strident I become, it seems.

Today, continuing on with my media exposure, I was on local talk radio as a listener commenting on the recent events at the U.N. The host was saying that he only heard Democrats coming out and denouncing the speeches made against America and President Bush. The host was asking why Republicans weren't out there vocally. So, I called in and told him of Sen. Norm Coleman and Sen. George Voinovich, two that I've seen on tv. Then I went on to my bigger point - it was a perfect opportunity for all people of all political thought to come together as Americans and denounce the leaders of Venezuela and Iran. Again, I cannot express strongly enough who tired I am of people putting party above country. We are Americans.

It was somewhat ironic to see and hear the Democrats coming out for the cameras yesterday to denounce the hate talk. These are the same folks who have spoken hateful comments about President Bush on a regular basis without shame - terms like liar, idiot, dummy, he betrayed the people, warmonger, he cooked the intelligence, nazi, far right wing fanatic, and the like. I chose to think they are sincere in their support now.

Did you notice what went on with Sen. Tom Harken of Iowa? Yesterday he made a point of saying he could understand why Chavez said what he said. Then, after he was the only one going that route as a politican, he came out with a statement to clarify that he wasn't supporting Chavez. Um-hmm.

I watched the two hours of tv goodness last night that was Grey's Anatomy. I love that show. The only way I will spend time watching a tv show anymore is if the writing merits the time. This show does.

Then I saw a preview to the upcoming new season beginning for Desperate Housewives. All was ok until I saw a scene, involving sex and the housewife's reluctance to do something her partner was asking for - then she said she doesn't do that, she's a Republican. Funny? Yeah, not so much. Just falling into the cheap shots in the political arena, completely unneccesary. So, now I have to write ABC and tell them what schmucks they are for allowing that show to go down that path. Then I have to let the sponsors advertising know my displeasure. Why? Because the American woman controls the pursestrings, in most homes, and she is the one making the everyday purchases. They will listen.

I take the label activist literally. It's what I do.

Putting on the big girl panties and getting the job done...

4 comments:

Beverly said...

I love Grey's Anatomy too. I watched the first show when it premiered and decided that I didn't like all the sex that was on it, but I got hooked watching the shows this past August when there was nothing else to watch.

Their sex lives do go against everything I believe in, but as you say, the writing is great.

Me said...

Harkin is retarded.

I assume with the coffee-donated thingy you might be talking about boca java. If so I hope you signed up through my site so I get credit for it! LOL. I reviewed their coffee for them a few months ago.

I thought the Blogs of Bravery flavor was awesome... but the rest were so incredibly horrible that truly, I threw the last 2 packages away. (I KNOW! ME!? THROW AWAY COFFEE!?) they were that bad. LOL.

I liked Blogs of Bravery though... I really did.

Jennifer said...

Putting on the big girl panties and getting the job done...

God, what an inspiring credo. You are my hero(ine), just for trying. The walking the walk part is the cherry on top.

srp said...

The 7-11 near Walmart sells Citgo gas. It is not the cheapest in town but close. I drove by. Went on to Hess where gas today was $2.04. But, they were lined up at Citgo... didn't anyone make note that Citgo proceeds go straight to Chavez's pocket?