Saturday, June 05, 2010

Sir Paul - It's Over

Dear Sir Paul:

This is to inform you that I am no longer crushing on you. It's over.

Like most American women my age, I grew up with you. I remember to this day, the first time you were on American television, The Beatles debut on the Ed Sullivan show, that Sunday night in February, 1964. I was 8 years old and watched it with my grandmother. She called me into the room to watch you - she said you were the new thing in rock and roll music. My grandmother was cool.



I loved you the most, Sir Paul. I thought you were the cutest. Then you became a sad old man.

I overlooked previous bone-headed moves because, well, we're all imperfect humans. Whether it was arrests for possession of drugs, trying to bring in marijuana in your luggage coming into America, or marrying a young, blonde gold digger. Everyone makes mistakes - they give us wisdom. I appreciated your support of America after the terrorist attacks on 9/11/01 - you reminded us all that your children with Linda are half American.

But, as frequently happens to celebrities, your politics have lost me. You were awarded the award by the Library of Congress and that was fine. You blew it, however, as you insulted one of our former presidents. It was a completely unnecessary move and the guy you were slobbering over - President Obama - was reported to have already left the room. How ungracious of you.

You said you were happy America now has a president who knows what a library is. Really, Sir Paul? Former President Bush, if you care to remember, married Laura Welch, a school teacher and librarian. She has an advanced college degree in library science. Former President Bush is a reader. He read 96 books his last year in office. How many books did you read in 2008? He also reads the Bible all the way through each year, so there is some additional regular reading. He also have a degree from Yale University and a MBA from Harvard. You graduated from high school with an Art degree, which is fine, but not an indication of serious intellectual heft on your part. Kudos on finishing high school, though, as you were the only Beatle to do so.

I wish you well, Sir Paul. I'll continue to enjoy the old music as I have since I was eight years old. But for you? It's over.

2 comments:

Carol ReMarks said...

Amen! I said the same thing this morning when I heard that crap on Fox and Friends. Shame on him. Only I just Twittered it.

Anonymous said...

I started to write something about the latest dumb-ass remark by Paul McCartney a few days ago but glad I waited; this post sums up my thoughts much better than I could have (although I never had a 'crush' on him)