Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Common Sense

Well, the world is still off its axis, but I am trying to work through it all. Too many subjects on the old brain, I'm afraid.

Something that is sorely lacking in the modern day is common sense. Good old fashioned common sense. Let's talk about it in the context of the Congressional Page Program:

Let's mend the program not dump the program. Overreacting to the current wave of scandal? I don't think so. I know it's a great opportunity for young people interested in government to observe and work in the process up close and personal. That's all fine and good. However, in it's present form it is a continued disaster waiting to happen. The young people in the program are, well, young people. Too young, I would argue.

The age of eligibility for pages is 16 years. They must have proof of a B average in school, proved by a school transcript. They must be processed through a congressperson's office, no direct application to the program. So far, so good.

But I think and must say I have always thought that these students are too young for a month's stay in Washington, DC. I know there are lots of mature young people out there and it may be so. I think it is asking for trouble. Lots of young people have a difficult enough time coping with life on their own as college freshmen.

I think the eligibility age should be raised to 18 years. This puts it at the college student level. Unfortunate things will always happen in society but at least this gives the students a couple of more years of maturity and life experiences. Students are naturally a little more cynical at 18 years than 16 years of age.

Please don't misunderstand - I love this program and fully support it. The students are paid a meager wage and are allowed access to our government at work. For a political scientist, like me, it would be nirvana. For a mom, like me, I think a little common sense must be inserted into the debate.

Young people with an interest in government and a possible future in the political arena are able to participate at a local level. All congressmen and women have local offices in their districts. Senators have offices scattered around their states. Local government, through the mayor's office or offices of the local city council are also a great training ground. Actually, I think the local level is the best for starting out. It's the foundation.

Also, political campaigns are always begging for volunteers. Young people can volunteer as distributors of yard signs, and political brocheures and flyers in their neighborhoods. They can learn how to walk a neighborhood and talk to people about getting out the vote for their candidate.

Common sense.

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

I wanted to be a page when I was sixteen. Politics was the love of my life back then, but my parents wouldn't even let me apply.

When Foley entered rehab with a flourished announcement, I rolled my eyes. When his attorney announced he'd been molested - by clergy - and is gay, I almost lost my breakfast. Is all of that supposed to excuse, or WORSE, somehow EXPLAIN his actions?

Common sense. It's all so simple really.

srp said...

I wonder if anyone will ever look at the real reason our nation is spiraling out of control... we have become a nation of finger pointing and excuses.

And you're right, 16 is way too young for someone to go anywhere without parental controls for a month, especially Washington DC. They would be safer on the streets of NYC than in the halls of Congress.

Beverly said...

Thanks for your kid comments at my blog. It's almost easier to write through Ella than myself.

This stuff is all just so sickening. Another nation won't destroy us. We're destroying ourselves from within.

I read this comment on a forum I was visiting. "Common sense isn't so common anymore."

Me said...

I absolutely say 18 for a page... and this coming from someone that almost was one.

I really didn't give a dang about politics... I was applying because I thought it sounded like a fun 'party' where I could meet lots of gorgeous guys and travel to another part of the USA from my midwestern small town.

My friend Nicole and I however, found out about this on the LAST DAY YOU COULD APPLY! The race was on!

I got the school transcripts, got the teacher's recommendations and got the forms filled out - we got into Nicoles car to race to my Mothers workplace for her signature. Nicole spun out on gravel, we did a cookie and ended up backwards in the ditch.

We didn't make it to get the signiture in time... my parents wouldn't sign anyway... and I never became a 'partying page' LOL.

Anonymous said...

I worked in DC the summer between my freshman and sophomore years in college. I was 18 lo, those many years ago. My mother did not want me to take this summer job (not a page, but a temporary receptionist), but I was a force unenforceable. It was the year of Watergate hearings. Shirley Chisolm had the office across the hall from the congressman's where I worked. Lots of goings on.

Let me just say, 30+ years ago many powerful people came through the door of the office, in power suits, in decorated uniforms. It was mighty impressive to this young, country girl. Power is a heady perfume and requires maturity to sniff through. I was *lucky* and remained *unapproached* except by the boy, my age, who ran the elevator, who wore a short wig to hide his unacceptably long locks. I would try my hardest to keep my daughter from accepting such a job.

I am not sure 18 is even old enough. Maybe 30.

Anonymous said...

Great post!

G2 did an internship in Austin when he was 15, but only for a week. He did learn however that he does NOT want to go into politics, but it was a great experience.

Of course he loved Rick Perry because he thought G2 was a student from UT.