Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Mind Wanderings

Another foggy morning here in Space City.

The James Gang rides again! The James Gang was one of my favorite bands in high school. I loved their sound with all the heavy guitar. Hey, I graduated in 1973, so what do you expect? It was the times. Now I hear on the radio they are coming to town. The original group is touring. I have to say as much of a kick it gives me, I do find all this geriatric band touring a bit disturbing. I still am a huge Paul McCartney fan, Rolling Stones fan, Aretha Franklin fan, and all but I really don't want to "see" them so much. I'll just listen, thanks.

A 17 year old student at an area high school brought a gun to school and committed suicide in the courtyard at lunch time. He went to a secluded spot and no one else was in danger. So very sad. My son has a good friend attending that school. Brand new school, the friend will be in the first graduating class next year. Upscale, urban sprawl kind of area.

The stock market broke through 12,000 this morning. The economy continues to go, although you would never know it from the news reports. It goes ignored. I find that a bit strange since all we heard about during the previous administration was how booming the stock market was for those 8 years.

I paid $1.93 for gas yesterday.

Housing is slowing a bit nationwide but still booming here. For the 4th largest city in the country, our cost of living is still lower than most metro areas.

The Childrens Museum here is announcing plans to double in size in the next couple of years. Cool. Working those years as a volunteer in Lafayette to open a Childrens Museum is still a rewarding accomplishment I look back on.

I look at volunteerism as I do voting - if you aren't doing it, you have no room to complain. Be a part of the solution.

Tonight at the Boy Scout meeting, the guys will sign Christmas cards to be sent to the troops via the lady in Georgia. I'll send them down to her, and all the guys have to do is sign them, hopefully they'll add some notes, too. It's a great way to use up cards you have from previous years.

Here's the address again, in case you are interested:

Mrs. Kathy Orr
OPERATION: LOVE FROM HOME
P.O. Box 1660
Loganville, GA 30052

Remember to leave them unsealed. Mrs. Orr will send them to Afghanistan and Iraq for soldiers in tough locations. This is a project she has been doing for a couple of years.

September 30 to November 30.

Think about it. So easy, yet something those without mail will appreciate.

3 comments:

Beverly said...

Thanks for the reminder about the Christmas cards. I'll work on those when I get home and send them to the lady.

That is so sad about the young man taking his life. Those left behind always wonder what they could have done to prevent it, or why they didn't see signs of it coming.

Anonymous said...

I caught a broken drumstick from a James Gang concert - I must have been in 10th or 11th grade. 71 or 72.

I'm with you about the geriatrics. When I see some of them now, I just think *get a haircut* or *lay off the chips*. I have the mirrors draped in my house too, haha.

srp said...

Yes, it is definitely time for many of the remaining 70's bands to retire... if Mick Jagger gets any uglier, he will give Medusa a run for the money. He never was very good looking, a bit to slimy. Now he's just comical.