Friday, October 06, 2006

An Excellent Idea

Good morning. Doing a little relaxing as I decide what to do with the day. Son is to stay at school until 7:30 tonight as he is to volunteer to help in the hosting duties at the school. His high school is hosting a UIL Debate tournament so his team is taking responsibility for the concession stand of snacks and running errands. A go-fer. The debate coach/teacher sponsor is making them a spaghetti dinner to keep them energized. Son said tomorrow's volunteers are being treated to the coach's father's gumbo, they are Cajuns.

I am taking a break from the troubles on the news today as my head is going to explode. The abundance of hypocrisy is staggering and I'm stepping back today. I'm breathing.

I heard on the radio this morning as I took son to school that a new survey has been released by eBay Express that finds the top cities that are what they call impatient. Houston is number three on the list. Austin and Indianapolis are number one and two, if you're curious. They consider us impatient due to the number of convenience stores and 24 hour places we have as one indicator. As the guy said on the radio, that's not impatience, that's efficiency and convenience! We have found Houston to be an easy place to live. It has its faults, to be sure, but for standard and cost of living, it's quite good.

Do you have extra holiday cards leftover from previous years that you haven't gotten to use? I have an excellent idea to recycle them:

Operation: Love From Home

This idea will provide the troops stationed in high-combat areas in Iraq and in Afghanistan with cards to let them know we appreciate them and are thinking of them during the traditional holiday time at home. It could also be a hand written note.

If you do this, please note that they are to arrive to the woman coordinating this project without being sealed. It is a great project for Scout troops, church groups, school groups, or civic organizations. I have asked my son's Boy Scout troop to sign cards I will provide for them and then I will send them to the woman doing the project. All the boys have to do is sign them and they will do it next week at the meeting.

The project runs from September 30 to November 30. I'm using is as a way to use up all the boxes of cards I've purchased the past few years. I love to shop for cards and stationary so I have several partially full boxes.

You can send your signed, unsealed cards to:

Mrs. Kathy Orr
OPERATION: LOVE FROM HOME
P.O. Box 1660
Loganville, Georgia 30052

No political statements allowed!

For all those who claim to "support the troops but not the war", this is a good way to make good on the claim.

This woman deserves a huge thank you.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

What a brilliant idea! Thanks for that. I'll definitely be participating.

Anonymous said...

I have partial boxes of cards from several years! I'm getting to work on that project today. Thanks for the tip.

I'm not watching any news today either. I have two episodes of House I've missed and last night's Grey's Anatomy. I could watch those as I sign cards!

I'm also contemplating actually putting the pilates dvd IN the player and turning on the tv. One step at a time.

srp said...

Yes, yes this is a great project. I will mention it to Nyssa, she could get her floor to help at one of their meetings.

I too have kept the news off today. So depressing. And with our Nor'easter in full swing it is dreary, damp and blustery.

Mahala said...

Count me in :)