Friday, August 05, 2005

The Big 5-0!

This summer I hit the big 5-0 and this brings along some reflection with it. Here are some random thoughts:

  1. When I was born, my future husband was 7 years old!
  2. I graduated from high school in 1973, the year the war in VietNam was declared over.
  3. As a child I purchased movie tickets for 50 cents.
  4. We played outside all day long throughout the neighborhood and no one ever thought a thing about it.
  5. I remember our first color tv.
  6. No cable tv, no cell phones, no cds, no computers, - all things my son cannot imagine a world without.
  7. In school we were required to take a class called "Civics" as an introduction to basic American government.
  8. Every kitchen had a wall telephone with a very long cord on it.
  9. No one wore seat belts and dashboards were not padded.
  10. At my present age, my mother was a widow.
  11. Abortion was a state's rights issue. Women in my state had to go out of state for this.
  12. Divorce brought a social stigma.
  13. The South was ruled by Yellow Dog Democrats.

So much has changed. Can't wait to find out what the next 50 years bring!

No comments: