Monday, August 22, 2005

Monday, Monday

Last night was a good night for tv viewing as far as info on the war on terror goes. First started out with 60 Minutes, which I normally avoid like the plague but surfed through some of it last night. One interview was with former CIA analyst Michael Sheuser, pushing his book of course, and his thoughts on bin Laden. He was quite irritating with his blame Israel take on middle eastern policy. I have seen him on other shows and it is a consistent theme with other has-beens : if that Bush administration had only listened to ME, all would be good now. Always about how in-the-know the interviewee is and now they are victims as whistleblowers. Yuk.

I watched National Geographic's "Inside 9/11" and was pleasantly surprised what a good job they did with the build-up and world history leading up to the events of 9/ll here. No slanted political views seeping in, yet. Tonight is the second part. The second installment deals with the actual attacks and the day of 9/ll.

Do you remember what you were doing on 9/ll? It is like the question of what you were doing the day JFK was shot for some of us of a certain age. Some days are burned into your brain forever. On 9/ll, I put my son on a bus with his classmates in route to Big Bend National Park for the annual outdoor education week at about 7:30 that morning. After waving goodbye to the bus in the parking lot I went inside to join some other moms in the school library to discuss some PTO matters. My husband was in route to Hong Kong on business, so he was in the air. Next I remember my friend Laura saying she had watched an airplane flying into one of the WTC bldgs on the little tv in her SUV during the morning news. She was in shock and I have to admit that when she told me that, I simply could not wrap my brain around what she was saying. I remember her saying "we are at war now" and at first I thought , what is she talking about? The rest of the day is a blur of being glued to the tv and getting the facts as they were known. The bus taking the trip to Big Bend was called back so the kids could be with their families. My husband called that afternoon after hearing the news upon arriving in Hong Kong and letting me know he was safe. Oh, did I mention he had left from Logan Airport? So that is what I remember.

1 comment:

Me said...

Oh my ... having a husband in the air at that time would have been QUITE stressful.

As for what I was doing? I was happily sitting at my kitchen table, sipping coffee and reading through recipe books. My phone rang and a friend asked me what I was doing... I told her just as I described it above. And she said; "Well I know you don't watch tv so I thought I'd call and tell you that we've been attacked and you need to turn it on."

My husband was working the night shift at the time and had just gone to sleep downstairs. I waited axiously all day until about 2:00 before I couldn't stand it anymore and had to wake him up to tell him.

(The three kids were in school and I chose to let them finish out the day as normal and came home on the bus as normal. Then we went to dance class as normal as well).