Saturday, September 03, 2005

And The Next Day

Took the boy for a seriously needed haircut this morning. I have finally found the best stylist around this part of town and so she worked her magic on my newly 16 year old son. Took her almost an hour, from shampoo to finish, and he was actually happy with the results. Yeah! Now that he has a regular, steady kind of girlfriend he shows sporatic interest in personal grooming. Makes me smile.

I am grateful for the Monday holiday from school's routines. My son finished his driver's ed on the road instruction and is now able to get his license. I think he still just wants the license in his wallet, not so much the actual driving stuff. I understand. Driving in Houston is not fun.

So, today we were treated to a press conference from Rev Al Sharpton. That evil George Bush and his racist policies. Unbelievable. Rep. Sheila Jackson- Lee was front and center. I guess they are finished with the Cindy Sheehan tour. I will never forget my disgust for Jackson-Lee (and believe me there has been much of her) and her speech to the JROTC at their end of the year awards ceremony at the end of the last school year. This woman has been nothing but anti-war and military, unless it'll get a few votes from the sheep in her district, and here she was patting herself on the back with a completely lackluster speech. And of course she had to ask the organizers to move her speech to the top of the program as she had to do other things. Anyhoo...

Several alternative shelters have opened here. The buses are also going to San Antonio and Dallas. The Moms Group in my subdivision had a food drive for the evacuees. I emptied our pantry of anything I thought they could possibly use. The least we could do. My son's high school is a public school and they registered 17 kids with more coming Tuesday from the hurricane evacuees. And we don't live in the Astrodome area. I'm assuming the school district while spread the kids out around town so as not to overwhelm any one school. Our mayor had a press conference yesterday and took the opportunity to chastise other cities and states to step up and take people into their communities. It is all so hard to fathom. Where will these people end up living and hopefully working? They can't live at the Astrodome forever. So many are from the poorest projects and are not skilled or educated. Or self-sufficient.

Laura Bush toured the CajunDome yesterday in Lafayette, LA. Our old town. I knew they would do all they could. The Cajun spirit is alive and well. Those people know a little something about adversity.

My son's girlfriend gave him a Led Zepplin t-shirt for his present! I knew I liked that gal. It does, however, freak me out a bit that the bands I was rockin to at his age are now listened to by his generation. Whoa.

Off I go to finish laundry and other exciting chores.

1 comment:

Me said...

My boy child is going to turn 13 in just a few days... he begged me last month to let him have a girlfriend. I relented to them "going together" (but never actually going any place!) and guess what? He showers. He washes his hair without being asked. He washes his face and uses deoderant...

... and the other night I went to kiss him goodnight and he a FACICAL MASK ON! Yep. Borrowed his sisters face mask stuff for oily skin.

YEAH! :)
Happy Mommy.