Thursday, July 19, 2007

Eye of the Beholder

Recall Alert: The Easy Bake Oven has been recalled for the second time this year. Bummer. Besides my Chatty Cathy doll, who talked when you pulled the string in her back, the Easy Bake Oven was my favorite childhood possession. I loved that thing. They look all updated and cool now but it brings back fun memories.

If I respected and liked Al Gore even a little, I'd start to feel a little sorry for him. He can't catch a break on his faux pas this and that being exposed in the press. First the very lifestyle he lives is exposed to be in direct contrast to what he expects everyone else to do, because he thinks he can buy his way out of excess and make money on alternative energy companies' stocks while planting trees. He doesn't plant them, mind you, but his staff would. Next, Live Earth concerts were not so successful and every time speakers came forth while the musicians were on break, the audiences thinned. TV viewership was very low. And now, his daughter's recent wedding reception is coming under fire by the animal rights activists. Seems old daddy Al served guests Chilean Sea Bass as an entree at the reception and it is on the 'threatened' list. Not endangered and protected, but just threatened.

May I suggest a nice white wine from Chile with your Sea Bass? Chilean wine is a wonderful secret of the husband and mine. We discovered it while living in Venezuela and it is really good tasting wine. Discovering Chilean wine was a pleasant surprise and we buy it still .

And last, his speaking contract has been published by the website, The Smoking Gun. Seems Al charges $100,000 per speech extolling the wonders of his knowledge of the planet. He also gets travel, hotel, security and per Diem expenses. He requires ground transportation, a sedan not an SUV, etc. Kinda cheap compared to the likes of his old boss, Bill Clinton, who has become the $60 million man since leaving office, in speaking fees alone.
The big Harry Potter book release is tomorrow night at midnight. I pre-ordered our son's copy in February and it will be waiting for us at the bookstore. No, we're not going at midnight. I've confirmed that the bookstore will hold it for us through Saturday. I'm disappointed but not surprised to hear that The New York Times has a review of it in its paper today, having scored an advance copy and chosen to not honor the press embargo on it. That newspaper is so predictable, isn't it? It has gotten downright boring, no wonder their subscriptions are in the dumper.
This is a quote from Book Six, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, in honor of the upcoming release of Book Seven:
"I take you with me on one condition: that you obey any command I might give you at once, and without question." A quote from Dumbledore to Harry. I would like those in my life to follow that quote, too. Unreasonable? Pish posh, I say.
Unreasonable is in the eye of the beholder.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

*snort*

That quote. So full of irony and allegory and ... but I digress.

Chilean wines are splendid, indeed. We've been drinking them, and a few Australian labels, for a few years now. We also have a favorite Carolina red - Ray-Len. Tasty stuff.

Frasier said...

I was a Harry Potter fan till Dumbledore died in the last book but I went ahead and read the spoilers so I think I may give the book another chance!!!
That was funny about Al Gore !!!!

Incognito said...

Oh Al.. Maybe he won't run, after all. I was convinced of it, at one point.

I will wait till the HP book goes to paperback, as much as I like them. :-)

WomanHonorThyself said...

ha that quote works for me too !

Paul is a Hermit said...

I had a cupcake once from an Easy Bake - really small! But kinda edible.

I agree, Al Gore, should lead by example and he is, his example is absolutely contrary to his demands. He is, or he should be, irrelevant. The quote is what Al expects, a King's demand. King Albert sounds okay, but Queen Tipper, I don't know...

AmPowerBlog said...

"And now, his daughter's recent wedding reception is coming under fire by the animal rights activists. Seems old daddy Al served guests Chilean Sea Bass as an entree at the reception and it is on the 'threatened' list. Not endangered and protected, but just threatened."

Isn't that rich! But at least his mansion is solar heated, and hey, doesn't he trade energy credits. What hypocrisy!

Live Earth (aid? Who remembers?) flopped - even some of the musicians didn't agree with the politics.

Have a great weekend!