Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Back and Forth

I go back and forth. I have been over Oprah for several years now. i could probably count on one hand the number of her shows I have watched in the past two years, definately. I admire her work ethic, her persistance in trying to be the best person she can be, and her philanthrophy.

I don't think she is a good judge of people and as soon as she starts singing the praises of someone, I go the other way. I remember, back in the day, when she thought Mike Tyson and Robin Givens were just the best couple ever. Then we learn he is on tranquilizers, abuses her, is manic depressive, and all that good stuff. After that I was leary, to say the least, of her choice of character.

But when it comes to philanthrophy, Oprah is the queen. Billions of dollars will do that for you, I guess, but still. I don't like when she combines it for ratings yet understand it is business for her, after all.

After Hurricane Katrina and all the evacuees came to our fair city, Oprah was one of the first celebrities to take the route here and a lot of it was for the ratings for her new season of shows. We knew that. But after doing the show from the Astrodome and all, she committed to partnering with Habitat for Humanity and building houses for some of the people displaced.

She set up a section of property that will hold 50 houses for 50 families. She was here in town Sunday checking on the progress and filming for her show. It will air tomorrow, Wednesday.

My son came home from school yesterday and said I should watch Oprah Wednesday. After I picked myself up off the floor, as he dispises Oprah, he told me of a classmate. This boy is in his biology class and is an evacuee. Son's high school is very new and wasn't quite to capacity so it received about 200 students from the hurricane.

Anyway, this boy, Brian, and his family will be featured on the show as a family helped through Oprah's efforts. Or so he thinks. He was interviewed by Oprah and told he'll be on air. I hope it happens for him. My son says he's a nice guy and happy to be here. My son's biology class is pre-AP so he must be a good student. We'll tune in and watch.

So, I go back and forth with her.

2 comments:

srp said...

It would be even more meaningful if she would actually get out there and work for three days, nailing and painting and such on a house. Give the money? Yes. But put in the elbow grease as well.

poopie said...

Today's show was an eye opener.