Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Happy Mardi Gras

Today's brew: Community Coffee with Chicory. Enjoyed with a piece of King Cake. It's Mardi Gras!

If we still lived in our former city of Lafayette, LA, our son would be out of school this week for the Mardi Gras celebration. Used to be a two or three day holiday but by the time we moved away, it had grown to a full week of a school holiday. No time off here. Today at his school they begin this year's Sanford tests.

Max the dog decided to celebrate the day by somehow getting out of the fenced in backyard this morning and touring the neighborhood. Fortunately husband had not yet left for the office and he got into his car to look for Max. Found him not too far away and brought him home. I guess it was Max's way of celebrating the holiday.

I'm wearing my official Mardi Gras earrings. They are made of old glass beads from back in the day when the necklaces thrown in the parades were made of glass, not plastic like they are today. They are drop style and they are green.

Fais do-do.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

My best friend from childhood moved to Luling way back when. Another is now a special needs teacher in Lafayette. Small world, sort of, eh?

I've got mixed emotions about Mardi Gras this year. When they first announced they were going ahead with it, I was excited for the city. Now, it's somewhat surreal to watch the news footage and see some of the harsher realities of the area and surrounds scrolling on the crawler beneath the parades. I can't decide how that makes me feel.

Of course, having no ties to the area, it's not for me to feel one way or the other about it, in some sense, I guess.

ALL OF THAT said, I wish I had gone to a Mardi Gras in the pre-Katrina days. Having visited Nawlins for the first time ever 2 weeks before the storm, I can only imagine what it must be like to be there in the middle of the greatest party on earth.

Jennifer
Open Book

srp said...

I never understood the concept of Mardi Gras, never went to NO at that time and in fact most of the people I knew from NO left town during Mardi Gras.

Oh, you have a wandering dog. My two old (now departed) mutts could dig their way out of any yard. At least they took off together, and most of the time if you found one you could find the other. Our Max is a couch stay at home potatoe.

Jess said...

Been to two Mardi Gras, thank goodness I was younger back then!