Thursday, February 23, 2006

Sincerely Yours

Dear Mr. President:
I have a request of you. Please fire your communications office immediately. Immediately. They do not serve you or your administration well. Too often in recent times you and your policies have been misrepresented in the press and in the media simply because your communications office dropped the ball. Or had their collective heads in the clouds. Either way, it's not good.

Please put the human resources department on notice that you will give them 24 hours to create a new staff that is competent and eager to do a good job. A staff that will never again allow y ou to go on the airwaves and state you knew nothing of something before it happened, even though all departments of your cabinet were involved in the decision-making process.

Thank you.

Sincerely Yours,
Me

Just a little something rolling around my brain this morning.

I watched the Oprah show yesterday and saw Son's classmate. He wasn't interviewed on air but he got lots of good face time on camera at the end. He was standing just behind Oprah in the group shot at the end of the show and his smiling face was a joy to watch. Oprah does "feel good" well.

I hesitate to answer my phone now. In the past few days we have been bombarded with political calls in the form of taped recorded messages. It's relentless during the day when I am puttering around the house. Early voting began Monday and the various campaigns are in hyper mode to get the vote out. Hubby and I will vote tomorrow as he has the day off so I've waited to go with him.

I am supporting a woman candidate who is a member of a political group I belong to for State Rep . Gotta support your own, you know. Solidarity.
One of her competitors turned me off during a stop he made at my house to pass out his campaign propaganda, er, literature, and you know what they say about first impressions. I know he has been a hard worker in the area for the right reasons but I really don't like it when someone pats themselves on the back like they got nothing out of it. He's made a career of representing this area in the business community. That's fine. Just don't tell me what a great person you are. I told him the group I belong to and who I support so he hands me a brocheure and puts his campaign office's phone number on it and says to give it to my husband. Then asked for my support if my candidate doesn't make it into the primary run-off.
The whole way he brought in my husband like my husband wouldn't be supporting a woman over other men, well, it's not a good attitude for a woman my age who grew up in the whole woman's movement era. Sets us off. Whether he meant to send the signal or not, it is how I perceived it and that is what matters in the getting out the vote exercise. I was expecting him to pat me on the head and call me "little lady". Bleech.

I'll tell you who I will support if my candidate doesn't make the primary run-off: the guy who came to my door on a Saturday afternoon when it was pouring down raining and he was dressed in a business suit and sporting an umbrella. It was a miserable day yet he was friendly, pleasant and chatty. He presented his broucheure, shook my hand and thanked me for my time. Yeah, he's the man.

For the State Senate race, I am supporting the guy who left the seat who the above candidates are running to replace. I don't have a problem with his positions and one of his sons goes to my son's high school. He and his wife appear very nice and active in the community. I wish him well.


"Following the course of least resistance makes for crooked rivers and crooked men". - Lanny Henninger

2 comments:

Jess said...

I agree. Where do they find those people?? You'd think the President could find some COMPETENT people to do that job!!!!!!!

srp said...

I made the decision to "not" watch the news for a few days. I think it is overload. These days of 24 hour news, repeated ad nauseum and bulletins the microsecond after an event, even if the facts are not all in, and the blatant lies that are reported as fact and then barely mentioned again when the truth comes out. Totally fed up. Take us back the days when you had to wait for news. I shudder to think what the outcome of WWII would have been with instant updates and reporters embedded with the D-Day invasion group.