Wednesday, October 17, 2007

A Brief Wrap Up

The past twenty-four hours have brought many odd and yet interesting stories to the forefront. Last night I kicked it off with the interview presented by Matt Lauer to Senator Larry "I am not gay" Craig and his lovely wife, Suzanne. I learned some facts about the senator that I didn't know before this incident occurred. Actually, I knew very little about Senator Craig. What has he done that has merited recognition?

From the interview I got: He's not resigning. He's planning to finish out his full term which doesn't conclude until January '09 and that the Senate Ethics committee is investigating this misdemeanor he's pleaded guilty to in Minneapolis. He's had a 30 year career in D.C., beginning in the House, then moving to the Senate in 1990. In 1982, it gets weird. According to Lauer's questioning, 2 House pages reported sexual impropriety by Congressmen. Craig was the only member to respond, by written statement, declaring his innocence. Hmmm. One year later he marries, for the first time, to Suzanne and adopts her children. Then the charges of a marriage of convenience began. They will celebrate their 25 year wedding anniversary in a few months.

Make no mistake, I have no use for Matt Lauer. He's as big of an opportunist as the rest of them, but, I'll say he was semi-decent to the Craig's. He wasn't copping an attitude, though it's hard to believe he's sincere when he voices concern as to how they are coping with the scandal as a couple, or as individuals. Suzanne said she watches a lot of the Food Network programs. I can understand that as a stress reliever. I do it myself.

I had to wonder about Suzanne Craig. What's the up side to agreeing to this interview? She looks like the dutiful, loyal wife, yes, but what is she thinking? She kind of had that Nancy Reagan vacant, yet adoring, look when she spoke of their marriage and her absolute belief that Senator Craig is completely innocent. And definitely not gay. Or bi-sexual. Yes, Matt Lauer asked.

Why would Craig's lawyer allow this interview, I pondered. I thought a client wasn't suppose to talk about pending legal matters.

I don't know. It was a sedated kind of freak show, though. I kept changing channels hoping to find something better to watch. Then I'd flip back and there they were. Like the proverbial car crash, I couldn't turn away. I ended up just feeling really sorry for them, especially her.

Today I watched President Bush twice. The first was a press conference with the stooges that cover the White House beat. They never disappoint. Bush was pointing out the fact that no legislation is being moved through Congress. No annual fiscal appropriation bills, no nothing. They'll drop everything to do non-binding resolutions or pimp out children for health care scares but that's not getting anything done. And, by the way, what kind of parents are allowing their children to be used in this manner? The press was more interested in asking what he thought of Lt. General Sanchez's remarks and when will victory be declared in Iraq. And asking about Putin's visit to Iran, for which he hasn't been fully briefed on yet. Oh well.

The last was a pleasant experience, mostly, except I had to look at Grandma Mimi for too long. The President and Grandma presented the the Dalai Lama with the Congressional Gold Medal. Can't resist - hello, Dalai. It was nice and Bush proclaimed the Dalai as a "universal symbol of peace and tolerance." True enough. They brought Laura Bush on the dais as the medal was presented. Bush is the first American president to appear publicly together with the Dalai Lama. Where's the liberal praise? Those all about human rights, because, you know, conservatives aren't. I'll not hold my breath.

And, we'll start again tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Bush is sending a clear message to the Chinese government. Tibet human rights, Burmese human rights, etc. Good for him!

Anonymous said...

I applaud Bush's message to China and
Burma. I only wish we were in a better position to leverage some serious influence in those countries but as long as they have oil (Burma) and we have such an enormous trade deficit with China I'm quite certain the U.S. stays at a gross disadvantage and won't do a any real muscle flexing. The Chinese situation is turning into a nightmare with the dollar so low and the U.S. allowing endless financial investments in our markets by the Chinese with virtually no reciprocity. That being said, I was pleased and impressed with Bush's position re meeting with the Dalai Lama. There. Some liberal praise.