Monday, October 15, 2007

Houston's Presidential Summit

Did you know that Houston is hosting a big time forum, a summit, featuring top ranking presidential candidates? It was news to me when I stumbled across the announcement on the Internet this afternoon. The moderator is Tim Russett, of NBC News so it may be a decent gathering. Sure beats Chris Matthews.

The purpose of this summit is "to inform and educate the general public on the critical role of energy to the economic prosperity and security of the United States." That is the reason for the summit stated by the sponsor, the Greater Houston Partnership. My husband is an engineer in the energy biz, so I was interested to read about it.

The Greater Houston Partnership is, according to the web site, "a 501 (c) (6) organization that is the primary advocate of the Houston area business community and is dedicated to building regional economic prosperity." The Chamber of Commerce partners up with them.

The candidates are a mix of Republicans and Democrats. All on the same stage. At the same time. What a concept. The candidates invited are listed as: Hillary Clinton, Rudy Giuliani, John Edwards, John McCain, Barak Obama, Mitt Romney, Bill Richardson, and Fred Thompson.

The date? November 13. The place? The George R. Brown Convention Center. Cost of tickets? Too expensive for my entertainment budget.

Wonder if they'll all show up? Wonder if they'll stay on topic?

Chris Matthews didn't.

UPDATE: 10/16 - Hillary Clinton's campaign declines the invitation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm confused, it says "six", but you have eight names listed. Did I miss something? I think the idea of having Democrats and Republicans on the same stage is a great idea and I also think limiting the number to either 6 or 8 is fine too. We've had so many bodies on stage, no one can really get their agenda out in the limited time.

(p.s. On Michael Murphy,I am so proud of men and women like him. When I read the book Lone Survivor I was very impressed.

Wasn't there objections to the memorial that was built in his honor? Shame on those folks.

Ottavio (Otto) Marasco said...

Two good questions at end of post, answers are, perhaps for turning up and no for staying on topic. No doubt beyond my budget too but its good to see a mix from both camps …