Saturday, October 27, 2007

It's All Good

Did I mention this is the absolute perfect time of year here in the nation's fourth largest city? Our weather doesn't get any better than this, my friends. Cold enough for the heater at night, sunny and 70's during the day and very low humidity. Perfect.

The chili was eaten with rave reviews from my guys last night. I'll take 'em when I can get 'em. Tonight the menu is baked salmon and freshly made coleslaw. The boy was spoiled this morning with bacon and chocolate chip muffins made for him by his proud mother. We are still a little buzzed out around here that he is officially an Eagle Scout now, having survived the last Board of Review Tuesday night. The best part? His realization that he can achieve goals with perseverance and work. That is exactly the right lesson to learn as one turns 18 years of age, if you ask me. Every eighteen year old should feel there is a world of possibilities out there.

One of the husband's notebook computers is keeping me entertained with the live feed from NASA tv, as I watch and listen to the astronaut space walkers. So freakin' cool. These people leave me feeling awestruck.

I have lots of reading on the do-to list today. Cooking, baking and reading. A great day, indeed.

Charles Krauthammer, one of my favorite thinker/writers wrote an interesting column published by Real Clear Politics. While many Republicans are still not quite there in support of one candidate above the others, Krauthammer writes that we have an excellent field of them. The social conservative wing of the party is uneasy with the top contenders for views past and present. But, as Krauthammer points out, everyone is looking for a modern day Reagan. The problem is, Reagan is not here and he is not coming back. He was, indeed, the greatest president of the 20th century. He was a good man. A strong leader. He was a Democrat during his acting days and his tenure as president of the Screen Actors Guild. Then he became a Republican and ran for political office. He knew who he was and stayed true to his beliefs. On the flip side, he took naps, "granted amnesty to 3 million illegal immigrants in the 1986 Simpson-Mazzoli bill. As governor of California, he signed the most liberal abortion legalization bill in America, then flip-flopped and became an abortion opponent. What did he do about it as president? Gave us Sandra Day O'Connor and Anthony Kennedy, the two swing votes that upheld and enshrined Roe v Wade for the last quarter-century."

Krauthammer points to these facts of Reagan's legacy not to criticize him but to bring a little reality into the present candidates positions. "And to argue that in 2007 we have, by any reasonable historical standard, a fine Republican field: One of the great big-city mayors of the last century; a former governor of extraordinary executive talent; a war hero, highly principled and deeply schooled in national security; and a former senator with impeccable conservative credentials."

Well said.

He finishes with this: "Yes, I know. I've left out Huckabee, whom some of my colleagues are aggressively trying to promote to the first tier. I refuse to go along. Huckabee is funny, well-spoken and gave a preacher's stemwinder that wowed the religious right gathering in Washington last Saturday. But whatever foreign policy he has is naive and unconvincing. In wartime, that is a disqualification for commander in chief."

Couldn't agree more.

I'm reading a couple of opinion pieces on Huckabee by two different conservatives. I'm seeing a few kinks in the armor. I think he would make a better VP candidate. Let him get some on the job training, so to speak.

I may post more later on him. After I finish the reading. Depends on how much I like the Chardonnay chilling in the fridge. It's Saturday, you know.

7 comments:

That Janie Girl said...

Chili sounds good. Great posting, Karen.

Hey, I'll be in Htown on 11/7 & 8. We'll be attending the AADE 5F. Want to go? I'd love to meet you!

I think I'll be staying close to IAH.

The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

the live feed from NASA tv, as I watch and listen to the astronaut space walkers. So freakin' cool. These people leave me feeling awestruck.

That does sound "freakin'" cool and awesome.

I have lots of reading on the do-to list today.

Thanks for including my blogpost in there.

Krauthammer points to these facts of Reagan's legacy not to criticize him but to bring a little reality into the present candidates positions.

Excellent! Reagan deserves admiration, maybe even some romanticized "hero-worship"; but the reality is also important, to put today's candidates into perspective. I keep hearing conservatives lament about the "quality" of our field. They are actually quite good. I think part of it is a fear, on the tail end of Bush's Presidency, that Hillary will be riding on the coattails of pro-war negativity by a war-weary American public (as if Democrats are going to get us out of Iraq any sooner and irresponsibly).

Also, unless it's my imagination, conservative voters seem to be so critical and demanding these days, turning into "all-or-nothing" voters.

Voters need to understand that you basically have choice "R" and choice "D". If I agree with choice "R" 80% of the time and choice "D" 10% of the time, I don't "punish" my party by not voting in choice "R" like an immature crybaby, enabling another Clinton or Carter into the White House.

The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Perhaps of interest, regarding Huckabee

Michael said...

Tonight the menu is baked salmon and freshly made coleslaw.

We had bbq chicken and homemade gazpacho the other day, with homemade sushi for an appetizer. My 2yr old and 4yr old loved it.

Doesn't if feel good, to put together a nice meal and get complimented on it?

Jolene said...

I like Huckabee, but I agree that he needs to looking at the VP position - as a balancer to whoever we get in the big office.

Anonymous said...

great link to dee's post, wordsmith - i highly recommend it especially including the update she made this morning. after reading that, jo, see if you still think huck should be considered for veep. in my mind it's a "just say no" situation...

Incognito said...

am driving home and was listening to various radio talk show hosts... and many of them said the same thing about Reagan and that we have some very good top tier prospects. I agree.