Monday, May 29, 2006

Memorial Day 2006

I hope you are having a good and peaceful Memorial Day today. It is a somber holiday, to be sure, but hard to top as it honors the fallen who have protected our country's freedom. Doesn't get more basic than that, does it. My father was a veteran of the Korean War, my father in law was a veteran of World War II and my husband is a veteran of the Vietnam War so it runs through our lives and gives us pause.

I would love to go to New York during Fleet Week some year and see all the ships in port. I will never forget the first time I saw a freighter docked in the Port of New Orleans when I was 9 years old. It was a Greek freighter and I was amazed at the sheer size of that vessel. I felt like I was the size of an ant. I was in New Orleans with my family and my father took us for a walk along the river after dinner one night. This was way before the area was sanitized and the Riverwalk idea was conceived. It was exciting for a 9 year old, to be sure.

In anticipation of an extended assignment this summer, husband has purchased an IPod. His excuse is to use it for his books on tape he downloads from the internet. He is a member of Audible.com and it provides him with the taped books downloads. He listens to the books as he travels and during down time. He had been using his PDA that has the ability to play the books but it bit the big one the other day. Son has a Shuffle so now he and I both are wanting our own IPods! Monkey see, monkey do. We'll let hubby figure out his first.

Just puttering around today. Nothing much going on. Laundry. Keeping the cooking simple.

Have a good one.

2 comments:

Sheri & SuZan said...

I'm afraid we are in the same boat here. Son has a nano ipod and now both hubby and myself want one (guess it should make Christmas shopping easy eh?...if we can wait that long).

Glad you had a peaceful Memorial Day!

srp said...

Haven't bitten the ipod bug. But we are borrowing Nyssas satellite radio for the trip to Illinois. Tomorrow is a horrible day... the girl gets back, we eat, she showers, packs a few clothes and we are off to W&M to move back in a dorm for summer session. Then only two days to get everything done for this flash trip.