Sunday, May 07, 2006

Sedate Sunday

Having a very quiet day around here. Hubby has been holed up working on the computer all day and son and I have been reading and watching tv together. We watched "Rat Race" again and still laugh at the silliness of it. We love John Cleese in this house.

I have a confession to make. I read the obituaries in the newspaper every day. It isn't a morbid thing with me, it is my fascination of the lives of people and what people do with their lives. My favorite genre for leisure reading has always been a biography. From the days of elementary school I have chosen to read about the lives of people that strike me as interesting.

On Book TV (C-Span) this weekend was a woman, Marilyn Johnson, who has written a book about obits. The book, "The Dead Beat", speaks of newspaper writers who have the responsibility of writing obits and the different styles of composing them.

She writes of how obits have changed through out the decades. It used to be that the word "cancer" wasn't written into an obit and only the most recent of wives and children were acknowledged. Past wives were not mentioned. They were almost like a 1950's sitcom.

I have put the book on my to-read list.

I am now going to research which restaurants are offering yummy sounding Mother's Day Brunch. Hubby asked what I wanted to do for Mother's Day and I said I'll be quite content with a good brunch and not having to cook dinner later in the evening. So now I just need to figure out where I will make reservations. I'll expect the traditional chocolate and flowers but that is his end of the preparations. Hangin' with my guys is what counts.

Tomorrow is Monday.

No comments: