Wednesday, May 03, 2006

White Knuckles Over IAH

Good Morning. Today's brew is Community Coffee with Chicory, Breakfast Blend. Hubby left to go out into the Gulf last night so the coffee is all mine this morning.

Late yesterday afternoon, a disaster was averted at Bush Intercontinental Airport. A Continental Expressjet, Flight 3161, lost the rubber from the two left tires on the landing gear at takeoff. Expressjet is the regional airline provider for Continental. The jet, en route to Minneapolis, was fully fueled for the trip. After reporting the problem, the pilot circled in the sky for two hours to burn up the fuel. This particular jet was not equipped to dump fuel, so that option was out.

Alert 2 was issued at the airport and the emergency personnel began preparing for the worst case scenerio. Alert 3 is the highest level which happens when there is fire or a crash already. A very looong line of emergency vehicles were put into place at runway 15 Left, the longest runway at Bush Intercontinental Airport. The runway was watered and foamed. At the time of landing, there were 100 firefighters and paramedics waiting for whatever might happen.

The time to land arrived. I held my breath and offered up another prayer for the 3 crew members and 45 passengers onboard. The landing was picture perfect. There were no injuries. No fire. I want that pilot the next time I fly.

There are miracles.

"Heroism consists in hanging on one minute longer." - Norwegian proverb

4 comments:

Me said...

I might as well just read you instead of CNN... you give me more news. LOL.

srp said...

CNN doesn't give NEWS anymore, only OPINION.

I too want that pilot please.

Sheri & SuZan said...

When I heard I think I held my breath too!

The landing was beautiful!

AC said...

My thoughts as well, that pilot, every time.