Thursday, March 16, 2006

A Fine Afternoon

I had a wonderful, so very me kind of afternoon. I went early to a book signing at a nearby Barnes and Noble Bookstore. I went to the mandatory Starbucks coffee cafe in said bookstore. I ordered a decadant Strawberries and Creme foo-foo drink. Then I cracked open the book to be signed and read until it was time to rise and stand in line for the author's signature.

It was heaven. I chatted briefly with a young woman who took the small table next to my small table in the cafe. She had such a pretty silk bag that she was using as a diaper bag for the 11 month old she had in the stroller that I had to compliment her good taste. She was sweet. That baby had such chubby, full cheeks that it took all of my willpower to not reach over and pinch them. She was all in pink and so cute.

The author is a 92 year old woman. A political insider and so very interesting. I am half way through her memoir now and plan to do a book review for Dew on the Kudzu when I finish. I love a good biography. I think people and the lives they lead are the most interesting of subjects. This woman was born and raised in Yoacum, Texas and has lead a very big life. Still spry, impeccably dressed as only an older Southern woman would be, and has a warm, smiling face. So cool.

A book signing I went to a couple of years ago was for Sherron Watkins, the former vice president of Enron who was hailed as a whistleblower after her memo to Ken Lay questioning accounting practices became public knowledge. She is in the news again because of the Enron trials. She was in court yesterday and the write up in today's paper was interesting. I knew she was on the lecture circuit. She says she makes $20,000 to $30,000 per speech. She has been told by experts that she is no longer employable in corporate America. She doesn't claim the title of whistleblower, it was a label put on her by the media. She remained in the employ of Enron after the famous memo and meeting with Ken Lay. If she was so outraged she would have quit. She sold $45,000 of company stock using insider info but doesn't think she did anything wrong with that transaction. She is an interesting character in the scheme of the Enron drama. I have mixed feelings about her to this day.

Sherron Watkins was very nice and friendly at her book signing a couple of years ago. I am sure she didn't ask for her current fee for that speech - it was in a large, old Methodist church and she was the keynote speaker at the Sunday luncheon after services. She patiently spoke to everyone who wanted to ask her questions and didn't make anyone feel the need to rush through her signing line after the speech.

So, now I am going to make some popcorn, open a Diet Coke and watch "Fried Green Tomatoes" tonight. In bed. Decadant.

So very me.

2 comments:

Me said...

I've never attended a book signing and I've never joined my husband in lines to get autographs for music stars or athlete's either.

I've MET many many stars of one sort or another... I just never have asked for an autograph. I don't think I ever will. ;)

Jennifer said...

Sounds positively divine. Truly.

Good for you.

Jennifer
Open Book