Sunday, March 05, 2006

Oscar's Night

On Oscar Night, I flip back and forth around the channels as I no longer really watch the Oscars. Haven't for years. Just lost interest in the whole thing. More and more it is just an auditorium of wealthy, pampered, self-absorbed, celebrities who are not very educated and certainly don't live outside of their high maintenance bubbles. Am I holding back too much for you?

I like to see the pretty gowns, provided free to the stars, so I try to see the red carpet thing. I sometimes flip to see the biggest awards being presented. Best Actress and Actor, Best Supporting Actress and Actor, and Best Picture. That's about it. The rest I will run through in the morning newspaper.

I have actually seen more movies at the movie theatre this year than in several years past, but even then I have not seen any of the movies nominated for best picture. I did see "March of the Penguins" and it is nominated for best documentary or something. Naturally, I really liked it and hope it'll win an award.

I did see "Syriana", nominated for best picture, I know, but did not see it in the theatre. Sshhh. Anyway, it was crap. The exact plot line I was expecting except the whole plot was so jumbled and incoherent. Just mostly blame big oil and white American men are corrupt and destroying the world with evilness. Not a lot of original thought going on there.

I really wanted "Walk the Line" to be nominated for best picture. But, no. It was a movie about a real American legend and his struggles to overcome adversity throughout his life and dealing with the love of a good woman, so that won't do.

I hope Joquain Pheonix and Reese Witherspoon win. They both learned to sing and play the instruments for the movie. Admirable.

So that's that.

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

Yay for Reese!!!

I hear you- I don't watch anymore either. Blah....

I watch the fashion report the next day at the very most.