Monday, March 20, 2006

Rainy Days and Mondays

Good morning! Today's brew is Millstone's 100% Columbian and it accompanies toast with cherry jam. Caffeine and sugar to get going on this rainy and dreary Monday.

The guys are home and worked on the swimming pool yesterday to get it in shape for the season. This evening hubby will be packing after dinner for the trip to Bolivia. He is kind of looking forward to it as it is a country he hasn't visited before. At least it will be warmer than the last long trip, which was Russia in December and January!

I hear on the cable news channel this morning that there is to be a movie about Cindy Sheehan and the lead will be played by Susan Saradon. Makes sense to me. Saradon is much more attractive than Cindy but it's to be expected. Just so it's all about Casey, right Cindy?

When I blogged last week about the motorcycle group known as the Patriot Guard Riders, I wasn't sure how much work they had to do. I hadn't heard of them before and I hadn't heard much about anti-war protesters crashing military funerals. You know I am a news junkie so surely I would have heard something about this obnoxious protesting, right? Well, I guess it is necessary to have the Patriot Guard Riders after all. I read a brief article in yesterday's Houston Chronicle about the funeral of 19 year old Pfc. Amy A. Duerksen. She was buried in Temple, Texas Saturday. The Patriot Guard Riders were there, about 120 of them, to shield the 200 mourners at the funeral from an anti-war protest. The funeral crashers were a group of 6 from Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka, Kansas.

Gosh, couldn't they find a good funeral to crash in Kansas? Did they have to come all the way to Texas to show disrespect to a grieving military family? Did God tell them to do it?

During the delivery of the funeral service, the Rev. Shannon Soard said "the two themes of freedom and justice were colossal for her". She was remembered as a soldier who loved her country and championed its freedoms, according to the newspaper article. She died March 11 in Iraq. "She had a kindness and gentleness for people that caused you to warm to her quickly", said Rev. Soard.

I don't think God was smiling on those Baptists that day. So much for Christian compassion when it doesn't fit your agenda. I can't imagine anything lower than taking advantage of a grieving family. This young woman died so that foolish, rude, thick headed protesters could have the freedom to spit on her grave and her family.

"When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall, always." - Mahatma Gandhi

2 comments:

srp said...

There are Baptists that are mortified by this nonsense. These people may think they are Christians but they are not doing Christ's work. He ate with tax collectors who were hated, talked with the prostitutes, went to the hurting and enslaved, and he shunned the hypocritical church leaders of his day.

Beverly said...

I've been stopping by your blog by way of Melange. I appreciate all you have to say, and I say an amen to Roxanne's comment above.