Saturday, July 01, 2006

Saturday

I am trying to stay dry today. Like a fool I went to the grocery store in search of some fine steaks for dinner tonight, at the request of hubby. It's been raining since mid morning here so I went during a lighter shower. It was pouring, of course, as I made my way out of the store. Then, son needed to be driven to meet ex-girlfriend for a visit at Starbucks. I'll have to pick him up in a couple of hours. I suggested maybe a rain check but she's leaving with her family for Disney World and so it's a now or not till much later deal.

No NASA launch today. Bummer. Hubby was all excited, watching on tv as the time progressed. He's all about the space program. We've been to NASA several times since moving here to Houston and it's always a favorite destination with friends and relatives coming to visit. They do a decent tourist's tour there.

Looks as though hubby's working trip to Kazakhstan will be postponed about a month. During that time he has to go over to Lafayette for a survival training course to update his previous training. Just a 4 day thing. First the visa delay, now the safety certificate.

Son starts summer school Monday for his math course. It's aggravating that he begins Monday and then off Tuesday for the 4th. Who's the fool that set the calendar for this session? So, I'll be up and in morning rush hour traffic. The class is 8:00 to 1:00 and is a good haul across town from our house. The class is for four weeks then he has the credit.

Hey, how many childhoods did Hillary Clinton have anyway? She told an audience of 600 adults and children attending the Sojourners Covenant for a New America conference that as a child she would babysit the children of migrant workers during Sunday School so that their older siblings could join their parents at work. Huh? She grew up in Park Ridge, Illinois, a wealthy suburb of Chicago. Even as late as the 2000 census it had a 95.4% white population with a median income of $90,000. Do you really think she wanted those audience members to think she was involved with migrant workers children at her church? Kinda like when she tried to tell audiences her mother named her Hillary after Sir Edmond Hillary, the mountain climber as she admired him. However, Sir Edmond didn't have the publicity about his record setting climbs until well after Hillary was born. Oh well, makes a good story, I guess. She seems to be able to new autobiography fairly easily.

"The measure of a life, after all, is not its duration, but its donation." - Corrie Ten Boom

3 comments:

Me said...

Steaks and Starbucks? YOU ROCK. Even if it IS in the rain.

As for Hilary... all I can do is shake my head. I'm sure as we get closer to 2008 she'll invent a few more 'childhoods' and you know what? Sadly 75% of the people listening will probably believe every word she says.

Carol ReMarks said...

Tell the son not to feel bad about math summer school. I have to take my course over again and I'm 39 years old.

Paul Nichols said...

Hi. I came here from Melange's joint. I see aka Merritt is here, too. I like 'em both. I enjoyed reading your blog and appreciated the quote from Corrie Ten Boom.

About Hillary: do you think it's possible that she and Al "I-invented-the-Internet" Gore are cousins?