Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Just Jackin' Her Jaws

Irony. Life is just chock full of it, isn't it? Referred to as an "outspoken feminist" by Yahoo! News, Germaine Greer is at it again. Just when you thought it was safe to go outside.

Ms. Greer is no fan of Hillary. While promoting her new book, apparently she thought it a good idea to toss a few ugly remarks Hillary's way and get a bit of extra press out of it. "I don't like Hillary because she's so bossy and cold and manipulative and stuff, and I don't think having her in power is going to make any difference, basically, because she will have the same set of advisers," Greer said.

"She attacked the first couple's marital style, saying the pair enjoyed a "confederacy" or business partnership, rather than an emotional relationship." That from the article.

The clincher for me was this quote: "Everybody loves Bill. Bill is adorable and Bill is always flattering me and inviting me to stuff in Britain and we're buddy-buddy, and I like him," she said. After fighting off the urge to lose my breakfast, I thought, there she goes again. Why doesn't she get it? Why doesn't she understand that this very attitude is what is responsible for making her and other old school feminists irrelevant?

I completely agree with her assessment of Hillary, don't misunderstand. But, slobbering over Bill? Really? Why do 'feminists' continue to pant after him? He was abuser in chief of women for so many years, carefully documented for everyone interested in knowing the truth. Yet, slick guy that he is, he continues to wow the old broads. Unbelievable.

Bill Clinton did nothing special for women but send Hillary to China to chide the Communist regime's treatment of the human rights of women. Big deal. He probably had a date that night.

The old school feminists have remained silent as to the rights of women around the world. I guess it is only for western women to have equality. It makes no sense.

The older I get, the more I appreciate my upbringing. I'm the oldest of three daughters. My poor father. The main theme in our home was that we could all do anything we wanted to do with our lives. We could go to whatever school we wanted to go to after high school, and it was expected that we would continue on with our education. We were not raised to just marry young and depend on a husband to take care of us. Over and over we were told we had to be able to take care of ourselves, life is uncertain and one never knows what is around the corner. My legal name is hyphenated. My maiden name and my married name together. My Republican husband never batted an eye over that. I had my own credit history long before I met and married my husband.

I was all about the women's movement in the 70's. I had the requisite subscription of Ms. Magazine. I waited until my late 20's to marry and then into my 30's to become a mom. I never felt in a rush to do anything. Thank goodness. My sisters and I have taken different paths in life and it seems perfectly normal.

I do know, however, the difference between those that support women and those that don't. Some liberal men do and some don't. Some conservative men do and some don't. For me it is a character issue, not a matter of political parties. A sleaze is a sleaze.

Greer brings to mind the Montgomery Gentry song " What Do Ya Think About That?" "Sayin' blah, blah, blah, Just jackin' their jaws".

Walk the walk and use some common sense.

2 comments:

Ottavio (Otto) Marasco said...

Actually, saw the interview whilst we were having tea late last week and I must say, it left me quite dismayed. Greer is back in Australia, as she does for about 4 months of the year and was interviewed on a prime time current affair program.

The question had nothing to do with Bill, she was asked about what she thought of Barack and Hillary, and instead she went on about how bad Hillary was, fair enough, whilst mollycoddling her husband Bill. It was sickening and in any event, showed just how little she knows of politics. What was also apparent is the way local media looks to her as if an authority on most nearly all subject matter. Her response to every question was completely inept and yet interviewers fuss over her as if royalty.

I then took it upon myself to explain the policy/personality differences between Hillary and Barack to my wife and kids.

Incognito said...

crazy... feminists have remained mum about the whole muslim-women issue, as well. and going on about Bill... please!