Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Sarah Palin And Her Alaska

Former President George H.W. Bush and Barbara appeared on Larry King Live. This is the bit that will be the juicy bit picked up by the various media with a passion for blasting Sarah Palin:

When asked by King what her impressions of the former Alaska governor were, Barbara Bush quickly responded, "I sat next to her once. Thought she was beautiful. And I think she's very happy in Alaska, and I hope she'll stay there."

This quote has been used endlessly to promote the show and has appeared in print.

I adore Barbara Bush. What a life she has led. The wife of an incredible American hero and the mom of a former President and two former Governors, she is a force to be reckoned with. I respect her honesty most of all. I don't think she made that remark with malice yet no doubt it will be hyped that way by the liberals who are so obsessed with hating Sarah Palin.

I watched both of the episodes that have aired of Sarah Palin's reality show. It's a terrific showcase for the State of Alaska and a warm and fuzzy commercial for Sarah Palin. There is nothing wrong with that, it sure beats a lot of the mish mash on the airwaves. It spotlights her love for her state and for her family. We knew all that anyway. This won't be one of the reality shows that you enjoy only to find out the people doing the 'living' in them are phonies and disgusting human beings.

My husband watched along, too. He is a fan. The clincher was the part of episode two where Sarah and some of the family learn to rock climb. My husband, for context here, is a documented, world class caver and he knows knots. And rappelling. He was impressed that they learned the old school way with knots, not the easier ways done today. So, kudos to Sarah Palin for rising above her fear of heights and climbing that mountain.

Sarah Palin does a service to parents by showing the joys of the outdoors. She is enthusiastic about outdoor sports and activities. She brings the kids along and First Dude, Todd, too. Good for her.

I confess. I have a bit of Sarah fatigue. She is everywhere. I understand the concept of striking while the iron is hot. Especially in politics. I wish her well on her book tour which is bound to produce the snarky reviews and gin up the haters. But, she'll remain in the headlines and her reality show will bring in the big audiences. She has star power.

The best attribute about Sarah Palin? She drives the leftists nuts. Priceless.

No comments: