Saturday, September 02, 2017

Surviving #HurricaneHarvey: Part Two - Political Cartoons


It didn't take long for the ugliness from the left to rear its head and publish political cartoons mocking Texas during Hurricane Harvey. People were still being rescued, the rain was still falling and people were looking for shelter as the cartoons hit the Internet. The souls of many are twisted and a national tragedy, brought on by Mother Nature, opened an opportunity for them to show their disdain of Texas, the nation's largest red state.

It began with the ugly cartoon in @Politico:

This is an attack on people of faith and small government conservatives and a little smack to the Texas secessionists fringe for good measure. Funny, I don't see the liberals in California wanting to secede being mocked.  The cartoonist is a coward, though, and as soon as the social media blowback began, he deleted his tweet publicizing it.    

The next bit of ugliness to catch my eye was this one from the staff of Charlie Hebdo in Paris:


Nazi references are common when the left goes after the right. I think it is the lowest of slurs and particularly low-brow. My paternal grandfather was Jewish. The only Nazis were actual Nazis, not your particular political opponents.
Remember when everyone, including me, posted this on social media platforms after the attack by Islamic terrorists on the publication?



   
                             

This is a political cartoon run by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution:



Misspelled sign, 'militia' headquarters - the hatred is real towards the people in a red state. Once upon a time I lived in Atlanta and I went to college there, so this opportunism disguised as political comment doesn't surprise me.

The coastal elites hate us. We get it. What about the liberals living in Texas, though? No empathy for them, either? They were flooded out, too. Mother Nature doesn't distinguish between conservatives and liberals. Painting with broad brushes never ends well.

I see all the social media nastiness because I live in social media and politics. I have chosen to use my platforms for information. Twitter is an excellent tool for up to the minute news and is invaluable in an emergency. My previous blog post, Part One, was my personal thoughts as the rain stopped and the recovery begins. This one is to show reactions from those not in the storm. This is the ugly side. The good side is out there, too, and so much stronger than the ugly. Part Three will be about that. 

Good wins. Love conquers hate. We will get through this. #HoustonStrong  #TexasTough  








No comments: