Thursday, October 12, 2006

Thursday's This and That

I am an early riser. I am the one to rise and push the button on the coffeemaker and let the dog out. Max comes back in and gets his morning treats. I pour myself and hubby, if he is home, a cup of coffee and begin whatever I need to do. Shower and wash my hair? Start a load of laundry? Unload the dishwasher? Is Oreo ready for a can of Fancy Feast yet?

This year, however, Thursdays feel downright decadent. I am slowly adjusting. One would think it would be easy but as a creature of habit and routine, it isn't for me. Son's classes don't start until 9:30 on Thursday. If I sleep in, I rise at 6:00 instead of 5:00. That's sleeping in for me. This morning hubby was home until just about 8:00, very unusual. His work involves a project just outside of the city so he had some leeway in his departure time. Son sleeps in on Thursday so I was able to check e-mail and do some chores in quiet.

Still just feels wierd.

The pitcher for the NY Yankees who died yesterday crashing his plane into the building on the east side of Manhattan was flying with his instructor. So tragic. Even more so is the fact that I read a Reuters report that his father learned it was Cory from the news account as he was finishing a game of golf with a friend and watching tv in the clubhouse after the round. He thought Cory had already begun his way to California since the season is over now. His wife and 6 year old son were in the air traveling back so a priest was to meet them at the airport and tell her the news. So horrible.

Cory Fulton Lidle was his name. His middle name is a nod to a celebrated member of his family tree - Robert Fulton, inventor of the steamboat. There's a little trivia for you.

The City Council of Houston is trying to decide if it will vote in favor of banning smoking citywide in all public places. Smoking bans are all over the city and in most places already but this would also ban smoking in bars and other places adults gather for socializing and entertainment. All sides have hired high dollar lobbyists. My council woman is for voting for a complete ban, no exceptions for any place.

I'm torn. I'm a Gemini so that frequently happens. I know all about the health risks to smokers and the problems concerning second hand smoke. But, a part of me says this is just more government as nanny legislation. I have a very strong Libertarian streak and this is the rub. I haven't smoked in 24 years and there is nothing worse than a reformed smoker, I know, but I am thinking this is overkill.

An executive headhunter guy just called looking to speak with hubby about a project. This is not uncommon. What I liked about taking a message from this guy is his name. Liam. I love that name.

I really have to get the whole going to Ireland project off the ground.

2 comments:

Beverly said...

Florida went smoke-free a couple of years ago. It hasn't hurt business in restaurants at all. The problem is that sometimes you have to walk through a pillar of smoke to get inside.

However, I do understand what you're saying about government controls.

Me said...

I wondered if that baseball player had any wife or children. Not enough to 'look it up' but I figured if I kept my ears open I'd hear. Thanks for the info.

A young Nascar driver died last weekend and had a wife who is due with their first baby in February. I always say a little 'extra' prayer for the wife to be strong, especially when there are children involved.