Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Join In

As summer was getting into full swing, I discovered a website via a blog I frequently read. The site is asking for volunteers to sign up and do a tribute to a victim of 9/11. I signed up in June and received the person's name that I will pay tribute to on the upcoming anniversary of that day.

Go to: www.dcroe.com and you will read a description of this worthy project. She provides the name of someone for you to write about. I googled the person assigned to me and learned a great deal about his life. He was a waiter in the World Trade Center's restaurant, Windows on the World. He was a Muslim.

The hope is to have 2,996 bloggers participate, one for each victim. More are still needed. That is why I am talking about it now and encouraging you to go check out the site.

It doesn't matter if you routinely blog about world events or on everyday life. On this day all bloggers will just be Americans paying tribute to the fallen. For just one day let the blogosphere unite without agendas and honor those victims.

On September 11, 2001 our world was forever changed. A global war was launched and we had to choose a side. Like it or not we are left to deal with a new type of war on an old enemy:

Those who hate western ideals of freedom for all people more than they love their own people.

Those cheering, dancing, clapping hands and passing out candies to their children in celebration of the attacks on our soil.

Those who say Hezbollah must live on and Israel must be destroyed.

When we put a name and human story to victims we honor them instead of their killers. I can relate a bit to it through my husband's previous travels to Iraq pre-war and the friendships he forged with collegues there. Supporting the making of democracy in Iraq will give them the freedom they, too, deserve in this world. All people long to be free. It is hard, painful work, to be sure, but we are their only hope.

Encouraging freedom as an antidote to hatred is a wise choice.



"Your joy comes from how you think, the choices that we make in life." - Joyce Meyer

3 comments:

srp said...

And we are supposed to be tolerant of these extremists according to our friendly left wing radical Democrats. Negotiate. Does anyone really believe these people can be negotiated with or live up to their promises? They put their own people in harms way and think nothing of it.

Jennifer said...

What a great link. Thanks for sharing it. I'm going to check it out right this second.

Beverly said...

I'm so glad your husband got home when he did and that he's feeling better.

When I got up yesterday and turned on the news to the arrests in Britain, once again I was saddened by the evil that men do.

Thanks for the site. I shall go there.