Thursday, August 03, 2006

Thursday Thoughts

Sipping Starbucks French Roast, extra bold. It is kicked up a notch with chocolate caramel, with Hershey's chocolate, flavored creamer. Seriously good stuff.

I'm about to monitor a Senate Armed Forces committee with testimony from Secretary Rumsfeld and General Pace. Yesterday at a committee hearing leading up to his one, with the Attorney General, Senator Clinton expressed her disappointment that Rumsfeld wouldn't be able to make the hearing. Yet, here he is, I see. She of course made it her business to claim the old canard of how dare he not be able to change his calendar to make the meeting. You know with the Clinton administration's record of disceit, it takes some nerve to accuse others of dodging committees. I expect no less from her, though. I'll watch the anti war bunch make their political speeches for the folks back home and the big dollar donors, like Teddy Kennedy. He's always good entertainment. He always leaves out the part about supporting the reports of the Saddam atrocities and our national policy of regime change, established under President Clinton. Alcohol makes one forget stuff, what with the dead brain cells, I read.

Yesterday was the last White House press briefing in the old room there in the White House. A big remodeling will begin today so they are being moved for the duration. It'll take about 9 months or so. At the end of yesterday's briefing, Tony Snow brought out press secretaries from administrations going back to the days of Nixon. It was so cool to see them all up there and everyone being so civil, like they are supposed to be as adults. Dee Dee Myers and Joe Lockhart were there from the Clinton administration. Then President Bush and Laura made an appearance and the president spoke a bit. Good vibes all around.

Are we sick enough yet about re-living Mel Gibson's DUI arrest and his anti-Semitic remarks? Good Lord. Put the man into treatment and go on to more pressing matters in the news.

Hubby sent an e-mail overnight. He may be heading home towards the end of next week. He sent his report to me to edit it for him. I don't mind checking spelling and sentences for him. Sometimes, though, it is like reading a foreign language with all the technical language. May as well tell me to go find a cure for cancer.

This weekend is the big no-tax shopping weekend for back to school. I sit this out as the $8 or $9 I would save per $100 spent on the eligible items is not enough savings to deal with wall to wall people in the stores. I began picking up stuff for the son last month as everything was going out on shelves. And, being a boy with no interest in fashion, he could care less about new clothes to start school. I bought him a couple of new t-shirts and fresh socks, so he's good to go! Boys are easy like that.

"Happiness is a thing to be practiced, like the violin." - John Lubbock

3 comments:

srp said...

Girls are ALWAYS aware of fashion, at least Nyssa was until her two years at the Math and Science school. Since then, thoughts have turned to more practical things. I understand from my nephew that boys will eventually go through the fashion thing as well. Just a bit later.

We have had storms. The temp has fallen from 99 around 6PM to 81 right now. Last night I don't think it got below 90 all night.

AC said...

This is Tennessee's first no-tax weekend and while I really would like to make the no-tax statement, the projected crowds are freaking me out in advance. Since I can't buy crayons and paste now, I guess I will pass as well.

We will be going to the mall Saturday but to renew the driver's license of the turning 21 year old. But passing up clothing stores is not in her nature. So, I'm hoping I make it through. Out tax rate is just shy of 10%.

Sheri & SuZan said...

We don't do the no tax weekend either...too much trouble! I agree they need to move on with Mel.

I used to translate and tutor Spanish and let me tell you, I tried a couple of times to translate technical stuff, I just did not feel comfortable trying to do that; it IS another language.