Friday, September 30, 2005

They're Back!

The hummingbirds are back! I thought I saw one a couple of days ago but wasn't completely focused. Yesterday I saw several and they are big this year! Must have been well-fed, wherever they have been! Also, this last summer, the dragonflies have been absolutely huge. One in particular has been hovering over our swimming pool, perhaps enjoying his/her reflection off the water, and it is an impressive sight. I love watching them.

Today we will have a little cooler weather here. It will only be 90 degrees! Break out the sweaters. I think the air-conditioning has been running non-stop since last March.


I am holding my fire about the Tom DeLay indictment. I have much to say but am enjoying the circus right now and selfishly holding back. Let me just say this - Dick DeGuerin, DeLay's attorney is world class and no shrinking violet. Also, any DA allowing a film crew to document this proceeding and indictment along with commentary and then say he is only doing his job is hardly believable.

I wonder if any of the anti war protesters have been to Iraq? I mean did they go before the war? Just curious. I know Americans are appalling ignorant of current events and without a basic knowledge of world history, not to mention clueless about just the basic workings of our own government, but I am truly fed up with the mentality spotlighted in the anti war crowd. Let me say, I am all for exercising your right to protest. I am one who saw the Vietnam War on tv each night at dinner time. My husband is a Vietnam veteran. The latest hissy fit last weekend by those gathered in D.C. to protest the war in Iraq led me to some conclusions:
Those protesting the war must not know any Iraqi citizens.
Those protesting the war are without big picture vision.
Those protesting the war must not be well-traveled people.
Those protesting the war are in a time warp.

My husband was in Iraq pre-war and came away from this trip with a great deal of respect for the people with whom he worked. Despite the atmosphere of suppression of free speech and the paranoia of constant surveillance, many of the men were very welcoming to my husband. He was even invited into a colleague's home for a child's birthday party. The family was warm and generous with personal hospitality.

The point is if you are able to put a human face on the question, a broader perspective is required rather than just simple slogans and thoughts. War is bad. Yes it is. People are dying. Yes they are. Innocent lives are involved. Yes they are. Mistakes have been made. Yes. But for the first time in over 30 years, the people of Iraq do not have to fear speaking outloud in public. Women are finding a place in roles outside of being shut up at home. Men and women were allowed to vote in a free election. They are building a new government and it is good.

The people of Iraq are incredibly brave and strong. They are a very proud people. This is the birthplace of democracy. And this is the changing face of the region. It will be a long and bitter struggle but the people of Iraq deserve to live in freedom, as every human being on this earth does. Or is it only for Americans?

In my days of youth, I was anti war concerning Vietnam. Everyone was in my little world. And the war ended with our retreat. I want people to remember that the enemy learned a huge lesson about the American public. Hey, they'll grow weary after a while and not have the stomach to complete the mission. This is not Vietnam. We have not been put into this war by JFK and have it executed by LBJ. We are not suffering the huge loss of life that was suffered in WWII or in Vietnam. Every loss is tragic but we need some perspective here.

I have come to believe it is a lie to say you support the troops but you don't support the war.

3 comments:

srp said...

I think you summed things up very well and all I can add is AMEN! If JFK had to deal with the intense media today (if it weren't so left based), he would not have been so beloved in history.

All I can say is "Thank goodness our parents generation had the intestinal fortitude to stay the course in WWII. If we had the staggering losses of DDay with todays mindset...the public would have had us running waving white flags and Nazi Germany would still be occupying France.

What wimps we have become. Washington must be rolling over in his grave.

Well, you got me up there on your soap box with you. Sorry to rant.

I was wondering where in "small town Mississippi" you lived. We spent 15 years in Columbus. It seemed to me that every town in MS is small town, even Jackson is smaller than most cities.

Karen Townsend said...

Thanks for commenting, srp. I was born in Biloxi but our house was in Ocean Springs. At that time it was very small and not much there - which is why I was born in Biloxi, not even a hospital!

srp said...

My daughters roommate at MSMS (Math & Science High School) was from Ocean Springs and her house was destroyed. Nyssa's best friend Margaret lived in Pass Christian. Her parents were divorced but lived across the street from each other for the girls. They were only one block from the ocean front and both houses are gone. It was so beautiful down there.