Sunday, June 11, 2006

I Love Lucy

I am just back from the standard trek to Target, otherwise known as "Tar-Jay" around here. While I was browsing in the card department, as I always do, I saw two cards that jumped out at me. Both were blank inside and the designs were from 2 of my favorite "I Love Lucy" episodes. One was the chocolate factory and one was the vitamin tonic episode. I love Lucy, I was always catching her re-runs whenever they were on. Still do but I don't see her on so much these days. Pity.

So I see three of the worst humans on earth committed suicide at Gitmo yesterday. Good. They won't have the opportunity to kill again. I wasn't clear on how they could have pulled it off without being seen by the guards but then I heard a general on tv explaining that the windows in their cells are blacked out. Why are they blacked out, you ask? Because the International Red Cross doing their human rights rap for these evil men at this resort of a prison demanded more privacy for those locked up. These three were in the super maximum security area. The facility at Gitmo is divided into three sections. The detainees are placed according to the level of danger they pose to the guards - our military guys there.

And the hunger strikes mentioned in the news? Completely bogus. These detainees feign hunger strikes when the human rights lawyers are there and publicize it then they go back to eating when the lawyers leave. The average detainee has gained 18 pounds since arriving at Gitmo. Journalists fall for it and we are suppose to care if the men are not eating. Count me out.

And speaking of food fights, Rep. John Murtha, D-PA, also known for going off the deep end and demanding immediate withdrawal in Iraq of our troops, is going to run for Majority Leader if the Dems take back control of the House of Representatives. This was quite the shock to Steny Hoyer, the current Minority Leader who was expecting to move up to Majority Leader when the votes are counted.

According to one Democratic aide: "Members really think Jack Murtha has caused a huge disruption. This is a major distraction from what our focus should be. We should be focusing on taking back the House, not leadership ambitions." An article by Reuters said "Democratic aides who criticized Murtha's sudden announcement on Friday said he was proving himself to be more of a divider than a uniter." I guess the adulation of the press is going to his head.

"You cannot shake hands with a clenched fist." - Indira Gandhi

No comments: