Thursday, June 29, 2006

Seasoned Women

Here we are, almost the end of the week. Ready for a long 4th of July weekend. Hubby has a full five days off, beginning tomorrow as it is his Friday not to have to go into the office, and no work Monday for the holiday. I have several projects for him to attend to while he's around the house, that's for sure.

I am watching the welcoming ceremony at the White House for Japan's Prime Minister Koizumi. Is this guy cool or what? First, any visitor asking for a trip to Graceland is ok by me. He's been a guest at Camp David and at Prairie Chapel Ranch so you know he's big buds with the president. I just like him. And his semi-hippie hair is cool, too.

Now, you know I am way over Oprah. I have very little use for her but now I am disgusted to read that I must purchase the new issue of her stupid "O" Magazine. Why? Well, there is to be an interview with Harper Lee published in it. How can I not read that? Ms. Lee hasn't published anything since 1983, which was a book review. She is to discuss how she became a reader as a child in rural Alabama during the Depression. The issue is billed as Oprah's "special summer reading issue", so there you go. She is 80 years old now and it will be interesting to read what she has to say.

And about another interesting old woman - last night on tv we saw a little news story on the birthday of a woman celebrating her 103rd year on this earth. Yikes! What did she ask for as her gift? A stripper! I'm not kidding. She wanted something along the lines of a Chippendale guy but the senior's home got her a dancer dressed up in a gorilla's costume. It was all a bit bizarre, but she looked great for 103 and appeared to be perfectly lucid.

We should all be so lucky.

5 comments:

Beverly said...

I agree with you so much regarding Oprah.

As for the 103 year old lady, they really should have gotten her the Chippendale guy.

When I was at the eye doctor a month ago, the technician told me that a lady who was 105 came in...she was beginning to have problems with her eyes. I should be so lucky.

srp said...

I have a great aunt who lived to be 104. She lived in three centuries being born in the 1890's and she died in 2000. My grandfather, her brother, died at 97 and their sister (who was always frail looking and expected to go for at least 20 years) died at age 98. Grandpa had bad mitral valve stenosis and was advised to have surgery when he was 70. He didn't expect to live that long so didn't. Who knows how long he might have made it if he had.

Me said...

I still won't buy O, not even for Harper Lee.

As for the 103 year old wanting a stripper... for pete's sake, she's 103 would someone please get that woman a stripper and not a gorilla?

Re; the July 4th holiday weekend... egads! It is. I had no idea.

AC said...

I'll read that one at the library, I admit, Harper Lee after what, 40 years of silence, can't be missed. But, this way I don't sent Oprah any money.

When I was growing up south of Nashville, Oprah was on the tv station there, Somehow i was never impressed and grew even less so as she became more famous.

Carol ReMarks said...

Are you in Alabama? If so I'm gonna have to move you up on the ole Improper Blogroll.

Ick, I have no use for the Church of Oprah either. Let me know how the interview in O magazine goes cause I'm not buying the publication even if it is for Harper Lee.