Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Tired Tuesday

I think all this rain we have had the past two days is getting to me. I am so sleepy. We have been spared most of it here on the westside of Houston but I sure do feel for the east side and further south. Those poor folks are in a fix.

My church has left me. I was born into the Presbyterian church and we were faithful churchgoers every Sunday as I grew up. We belonged to the First Presbyterian Church in Shreveport, a big church downtown. It shaped my vision of a church for life. I don't feel comfortable in a small church and I won't go to a church that has stadium seating either. I like the nice old-fashion version of big church. And there has to be pretty stained glass in the windows, too. And an old pipe organ in the balcony where the choir sings.

Well, my son does not have the advantage of growing up in one particular church, I am sorry to say. We are sporatic churchgoers at best. He attended Episcopalian based private schools in his pre-high school days so he went to chapel twice a week all those years. Hubby prefers a small church setting. He wants the whole intimacy thing. I want room to breathe.

The past few years we have been quite disgusted with what has happened to the Presbyterian Church at the top leadership levels. The grand poobahs decided to divest funds out of Israel and fully support Palestine. This has lead to a huge divide in the membership of the church.

Now I read in the newspaper that the church's national assembly has decided to re-name the Holy Trinity. They claim the church's theological position will not change, "but provides an educational resource to enhance the spiritual life of our membership". The assembly, according to this article, defeated a conservative bid to refer the paper back for further study. The divine Trinity, commonly known as Father, Son and Holy Spirit can now be known as Mother, Child and Womb or Rock, Redeemer, Friend at some Presbyterian churches. The assembly seeks to add fresh ways ato speak of the "mystery of the triune God and expand the church's vocabulary of praise and wonder."

I could weep. More politically correct, gender inclusive language run amok. If it weren't so sad I would laugh at the fools.

My husband and I were married in the Unitarian-Universalist Church in Bloomington, Indiana. We liked the church and the congregation. The minister was a pleasant, kind woman around our age at the time.

Maybe we should just re-think what religious affiliation we want to be now.

6 comments:

srp said...

It looked like the rain shifted to the west a little bit. Our forecast said 30% chance of isolated thunderstorm. Ususally that means it won't rain but I brought in the dog mattress anyway. Then about 2AM a loud clap of thunder and lightening and Max began to bark. I thought I was going to have to drag out of bed, through the dark house (Mom's cat Maggie won't tolerate night lights)and put him in the sunroom with his other kitty friends. Just then I heard the downpour start. It looks to have rained a half an inch in about 20 minutes. Not nearly as much as Houston has been getting but at least it made Max go into his house.

Jennifer said...

I grew up in the church, active in youth groups, the whole family involved in this or that. My biggest regret as a parent is not doing the same for my kids. Now, I think, the whole "religion thing" is either intimidating, confusing, or just not integral to their caring enough to explore on their own. And that makes me sad. Like I let them down.

Have been sending dry, sunny vibes your way this week. Hope they get there soon!

Beverly said...

I heard on the radio the other day that the Episcopal church loses an average on one church a week. I believe the announcer said that 700 a week are leaving the church.

The Presbyterians are going to be losing some too, I'm afraid.

Glad you're staying dry...the rain can be depressing, though, can't it.

AC said...

I just don't get the anti-Isreal thing. I just don't. And I read the list of new Trinity words and I don't get them either. What a lot of wasted time.

Thanks for your words re:Baylor/T-Tech. Is Waco a nice town? My preference is for Baylor, mostly because of the program, but also because Texas seems more homey than Seattle or DC (read: more affordable, friendlier and safer)

Me said...

... mother, child and womb?

Oh my.

Again... oh my.

Well, I'm Catholic. You can come to church with me! :)

AC said...

Thanks a second time for a further Waco opinion. I certainly remember the Koresh compound/Reno thing and then there was that nastiness concerning the Baylor basketball teammates' murder but that stuff goes on everywhere, so sad to say. I just hope she/we can afford grad schol, and of course, hope that she gets in.