Thursday, September 14, 2006

Why Do You Blog?

Tonight as I ready the coffeemaker for tomorrow morning's java, I get a treat. I will get to choose which of the bags of beans I have at the ready to open. I stocked up recently when Target ran Starbucks coffee on sale. I have five different ones from which to choose. It's the simple things in life that give us the most pleasure, isn't it? I realize I'm a bit obsessive about my morning brew, but I am an addict and I'm not rehabbing! I set out the coffee mugs for hubby and me, along with a spoon for stirring the creamer into our steaming mugs of freshly poured coffee. All I have to do is push the button and it goes. Walk to the fridge, retreive the creamer and I'm all set. I pour a cup for hubby and take it to him and pour myself one. We both are of the routine of having 2 cups during the waking up and pulling ourselves together process each morning.

Another daily routine I now joyfully anticipate is blogging. I began this blog a little more than a year ago to hone up my writing skills. Feeling a bit rusty and occassionally braindead after being a stay at home mom all these years, I have been studying grant writing as a new career path. Our son will be going off to college in a couple of years and the days will be my own. Grant writing has been an interest since I am a long time volunteer in the world of non-profits. When I was involved on a daily basis with opening a children's museum in Lafayette, I became familar with the importance of good grant writing up close and personal. There are a lot of ins and outs of the process and it requires being educated on the current requirements and what foundations are seeking causes to which they can donate. I take workshops when I can and hope to be actively involved with our son's school as a volunteer grant writer. As my skills grow, I hope to turn this knowledge and interest into an income producing venture.

This blogging thing has really snuck up on me. I find myself addicted to the world of blogs and my new friends. The friends part is an unexpected bonus for me. I read blogs written by women, mostly. Most of these blogs share my basic world view and all are interesting to me for one reason or another. I don't waste time with blogs that irritate me. Life's too short. I do read a couple of blogs with differing political views but they are pleasantly written and not disrespectful to anyone. Politics remains the passion of my life, outside of my family and my spirit.

Some blogs I've read for more than a year now and I feel as though the bloggers are friends. I would feel completely comfortable sitting down and having a cup of coffee or a meal with them. Any time. Any place. I love the photography Roxanne shares with us, I am in awe of Jennifer's writing gift, A.C. and Beverly share stories I can relate to, SuZan and Sheri and Liz are fellow Texans, Karen connects me with my birth state and it's Gulf coast, Jessica gives me a younger, newer married prospective.

I miss early morning quiet coffee time every morning with Meritt. A lot. She stays close with comments and I'm grateful for that.

My blogroll is not very long, intentionally. I am rather picky about who I share time with. I hope I can return the level of friendship to them that I receive.

And so it goes.

5 comments:

Me said...

Awww... coffee with Meritt. :)



Well, first I had websites and homepages. My first 'official' blog on blogger was going to be a "MOVING" online diary of sorts. I was going to document all the steps, hassels, triumphs and stress of the move to help others who haven't ever been through it.

Then the unimaginable happened... the house sold within 1 1/2 weeks. A short lived blog. LOL.

I ended up just writing 'whatever' after that. It evolved into just talking over coffee. :)

Jess said...

Woo hooo a YOUNGER NEWER married perspective?

You go girl. I try!!!

Yes, 36 is STILL YOUNG! I was feeling so old! LOL

Beverly said...

Thanks for including me in your list of blogging friends. The feeling is mutual. I love reading your take on the world and life in general. I think maybe my writing skills have improved a little, but they're nothing to write home about.

I admire those from whom words flow so easily.

Were you referring to Lafayette, Louisiana. My very good friend here in Florida is from Lafayette...last name Guidry. That probably is not too uncommon there, is it. She has lots of brothers and sisters who live elsewhere now, but her mom is still there.

Jennifer said...

The friendship is mutual, I do hope you know that. There are a couple of cups of Starbuck's with our names on them somewhere, some day.

srp said...

I guess I named my blog Melange because it was just that a mish mash; part autobiography to leave for my daughter, then I figured out how to do the photographs and my interest in photography took off.

I love coming here because you can put into thoughtful words what I'm thinking but much better than I could ever do.

Oh, yes, my favorite coffee is Starbucks White Chocolate Mocha with a splash of Almond!!! Yummmmmmy!