Thursday, October 13, 2005

Good News Abounds

What a calm morning here. No school today or tomorrow for the boy today, due to teacher in-service days. They took the PSAT exam yesterday so that is out of the way. This long weekend he and his dad are going to be reviewing material from his Algebra II class. It is a pre-AP class and he is not so secure with it. Unfortunately, he inherited my math genes and not his father's. His father is a math and science genius. Son does get the science gene, though. He loves science.

I am watching a live video conference between soldiers in Tikrit, Iraq and President Bush. The group includes 10 American soldiers and 1 Iraqi soldier. The Iraqi soldier just told the president that he loves him and thanked him for helping his country. The pride in the faces of the Americans was so obvious and the president made a point of saying several times that the American people support the soldiers and the mission will be accomplished. A female soldier present was also present during President Bush's first visit to Ground Zero in NYC.

Environmental engineers have stated now that the orginal reporting of the "toxic soup" of the flood waters in New Orleans is not as horrible as first reported. The journalists come through for the reading public yet again. The chemical contamination is not so severe as first feared and no fish kills have been noted from Lake Ponchartrain. Gasoline evaporated quickly and some are referring to most of the water resembling water after a heavy rain in the city. Interesting. What did Lt. General Honore say? Don't get stuck on stupid, journalists.

Did you know that some of the classics that high schoolers now read come with SAT vocabulary words included? My son is in a pre-AP English II class and they are reading

Frankenstein now. The teacher requested we purchase the version with the SAT vocabulary included. I didn't know such versions existed. I think it's an excellent idea. While purchasing the book my son asked me to get Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, too, with the vocabulary just because he also wanted to read that! Some clever marketer out there deserves a pat on the back!

I made a big pot of chili yesterday with 1/2 ground turkey and 1/2 ground beef. It was an experiment to see if my guys would eat it! I had seen a recipe for turkey chili that really sounded good but I knew my guys wouldn't go for such an idea. So I tried adding the ground beef to make it taste a little more like traditional chili. Worked, too. They really liked it even though son first thought I had yet again lost my mind.

The laundry basket awaits my attention.

No comments: