Saturday, October 08, 2005

It's Baking Season!

Slept in a bit this morning as I was up a little late last night. I am re-reading "Wicked" since I expect to see the stage play in the not too distant future. We are having some wonderful weather right now. Almost an actual chill in the air this morning. I stepped out for the morning newspaper and decided that baking season has arrived.

I love to bake. I have enjoyed baking since I was a young girl and was allowed to open a box of cake mix and make a mess in the kitchen. My mother was not a baker so I am self taught in this area. Baking is a relaxing activity for me and I often rely on baking as a stress reducer in my life.

I rarely bake in the hot weather because it is just too uncomfortable. No one wants the kitchen heated up for an extended period of time when the temperature is 100 degrees. So as soon as we get the indication of cool weather on the way, usually in October, I start thinking about what I have been wanting to bake.

This morning I baked a batch of cocoa chocolate chip scones for a breakfast treat. I am feeling very satisfied after consuming my fair share of the scones and sipping a cup of espresso on the side. Doesn't get much better than that for starting a Saturday morning. I "read" cookbooks for fun and have a good collection of cookbooks collected through out the years. I have pulled a couple of them to go through the baking sections for a good idea to use tomorrow morning. Something along the sweet line as my husband is not home and my son inherited my very pronounced sweet tooth!

C-Span is celebrating its 25th Anniversary of live call-in shows and I am reaching nirvana over that! They are doing shows non-stop with guests for I believe 26 hours. It began last night and goes into tonight. They have had some very interesting people on with great discussions.

I will break away from C-Span this evening when Paula Dean's show comes on. Some kind of special show involving her going to Hollywood. I love my cooking shows! Paula Dean is great fun to watch. I may be a nerd but I have a wide range of interests with which to keep myself occupied!

Max the dog is enjoying the weather this morning. I have the sliding glass door open that leads out to the back yard and the pool. He loves to freely go in and out. We do have a dog door on another door that goes to the patio area but only Oreo, the young cat uses it!

Now where's my coffee mug?

4 comments:

Sheri & SuZan said...

Yes this was a wonderful morning. Big G did not wake me up and I slept until 10:15 (haven't done that since I was a teenager). I would have liked to be up earlier to enjoy the chill in the air but with the stressful week I had, he thought I needed the sleep (got to love him for that).

poopie said...

I'm lovin' the cool air here in Tennessee too. Sure was a long time coming!

srp said...

It is cooler than it has been here. The rain from Tammy was an all night, all day affair. It cleared off about five and the cloud banks would have been great against the water and clearing skies if only I could have gotten down to the beach. No such luck. Then about 1AM another heavy shower came through. Now it is a fine mist and clouds.

My mom also 'reads' cookbooks like novels and watches Paula Dean faithfully.

YellowRose said...

Wicked is coming to Atlanta in May...I'm there!!! That is if we don't head to New York to see it before then...I'm dying to see it!

Those scones sure do sounds yummy!! I may need that recipe! ;)