Sunday, October 16, 2005

I'll Have Another Cup, Please!

This morning is alive with cool, crisp air and I can breathe! Excellent coffee drinking weather with the sliding glass door open for Max the dog to come and go as he pleases. Love it.

Son had a good evening with girlfriend as they went to a school play to see a friend and former classmate of son's. He was able to see another old friend and sit with her and her family there. Nice. He did not care for the play, though! The kids did Inherit The Wind and son has no patience for debate over evolution! As I have said before, he is a science guy and firmly believes that the theory of evolution is an open and shut case!

The people of Iraq did themselves proud again with such a large percentage of voters turning out to excercise their right to vote. Americans would do well to take a lesson from that. Much to the chagrin of the Bush haters, the Constitution looks as if it will be passed and the Iraqis are moving on. I hope the people my husband has befriended there were able to vote. They are very proud of having true choices on the ballot now. A couple of them were able to come here in January for classes from my husband and they missed out on the big vote then.

I have never understood people who care so little for the basic freedoms of the American way of life as to not vote. The right to vote is the one true way a citizen can voice an opinion of public policy that governs us all. If something happens and I fail to vote, say for local elections, I feel a huge burden of guilt that I did not live up to my obligation as a citizen of the community. It's true. I began taking my son with me to watch me vote at birth and he knows just where his mom stands on voting!

My mother died one year ago today. She lived with us the final years of her life and, being the oldest of her three children, I was the one to arrange for her care when she took a turn for the worse. The transition from child to caregiver is a long strange journey. Doesn't feel like a full year has gone by.

Every now and then my son reminds me to be good to him as he will be making any decisions needed in my later life! Gotta love that kid.

No comments: