Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Take A Breath

It's important to just stop and take a breath sometimes. We have so much to be grateful for living in this country. Don't believe me? Leave our borders and go anywhere. You'll come back a changed person. We are a blessed people here and take so much for granted. Reflection is good for the soul.

Baking today so I can devote time to the dinner tomorrow. Just the three of us this year so no stress, just making a fine, big meal. Turkey, dressing, cranberry sauce, corn, green beans, sweet potatoes and rolls. Then pumpkin pie for dessert. It'll be great.

Some things are a tradition of us. The cranberry sauce comes out of a can with ridges on it. The gravy is from a jar. The sweet potatoes are baked with marshmellows on top. And the rolls are from a can. I'm not Martha Stewart and I get no complaints!

If you are travelling, count to ten. Many times. I hope everyone has lots to eat, loved ones to enjoy and thankful hearts.

Gobble, gobble.

6 comments:

AC said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you too! I'm getting out the drawstring waistband pants and plumping the pillows on the couch.

There were fights that required the police in our town yesterday over the xbox!

Sheri & SuZan said...

Happy Thanksgiving Karen. Your post made me smile because that is my kind of cooking also (except I do make my grandmother's dressing). :)

srp said...

We are going out. Saving the bird for Christmas when Nyssa will be here and my brother will be over from Vienna. Mom can't eat dressing or gravy or potatoes. She can have sweet potatoe, but only with a little butter and no marshmallow. My grandma always made the sweet potatoe casserole. My ex-mother-in-law always makes homemade egg noodles so I expect Nyssa will have that. My dad usually makes the gravy and the bread machine makes the rolls. I make the iced tea and open the can of cranberry sauce.

Have a good day.

poopie said...

Happy thanksgiving! It's amazing how "traditional" that ridged cranberry sauce is ;) We couldn't do without it.

srp said...

You went away! I hope you are not lost in all those crazy "day after" sales. :)

Jennifer said...

One of the blessings of living where we do is convenience. Cranberry sauce with ridges and gravy from a jar? I give thanks to the wise and brilliant ones whose minds gave us their goodness, right on our grocery shelves within arms reach. :-)

Hope your holiday was beautiful.

Jennifer
Open Book